Kidmade and Other Fun Things Around the Web

I just found this new site, Kidmade, through one of my favorite children's art blogs, Camp Creek Press. Both Camp Creek Press and Kidmade are for children who are a little older than my daughter, however they are both well worth checking out even if your child is still young. Kidmade says that they are going to have regular creative "challenges" for children (this month's is to create a self portrait). You can send them a photo of the completed challenge with a blurb written by the child (or dictated to you). Sounds like a fun and cooperative way for your children to share their artwork and other projects!

Here are some water sponge toys that I found on Make and Takes. They look like they would be a lot of fun in the bath, pool, OR (since I filter the world through my interest in art) for creating interesting paintings!

Three Sneaky Bugs has a great tutorial for building your own felt board–something I want to try soon–and another post about adding flowers.

And, Gwyn at My Kids Art posted about doing cool string rubbings with her sons. I haven't tried rubbings with Maia yet, but have been thinking about it.

Happy Friday and Happy Creating!

Comments

Thanks for the link to kidmade. I am so excited to get this project up and running and I can’t wait to see all the great self-potraits.
    I love the felt board idea, it would make a great birthday gift. Mary

2. threesneakybugs says

Ya know I had the materials for making the felt board sitting around for months (ok more like a year) and when I finally got around to making it I was done in less than an hour. I have no idea why I waited so long. Seth really likes it and shows it to anyone that comes over. Not only that, but he has started transfering the felt items into other imaginative play such as ingredients for soups and stews in his play kitchen.
    Love the string rubbings. I’ve been trying to come up with things for doing rubbings and this should get us going. I’ll have to check out the kidmade link too!
    Thanks!

Speaking of rubbings, we made the Sculpey nature prints yesterday (thanks for the idea) and today we tried using them for rubbings. Some of them worked great, others not quite as well. But they definately made interesting patterns and textures.

4. Rachel says

LOVE LOVE the felt board idea! i think j would really enjoy that. and the sponges- how fun.
    does anyone have ideas for how to deal with the conflict that happens when an older sibling wants to always do what the older is doing… although that always involves messing up the older sibling’s “work?”
    i’ve begun giving my older son free reign on the kitchen table so it’s high enough to keep away from the younger one. but that doesn’t always work. sometimes i encourage the older to be okay w/little guy’s play ideas, but sometimes i want to give older guy space to create his towers, imaginative play, etc. without interruption. i’d welcome any empathy or ideas! thanks!

Thanks for the link love. It’s almost Water Sponge season. We have been playing them in the bathtub while we wait for summer to come.
    This is a great blog. I am having fun looking back at all the posts and through your link list. I have found some new good kid craft blogs. I am always looking for more inspiration. Thanks.

6. Ann says

You can make your own rubbing boards on cardboard. Use hot glue to make a design or a picture on a piece of sturdy cardboard. Let it dry hard. Kids place a piece of paper over the cardboard and if necessary clip it on to hold it still with a clothespin. Then rub gently over it with the side of a crayon or chalk. I did this when I needed webs for an insect unit in kindergarten. They loved it.