Suncatchers and a Tea Party

We decided at the last minute to have a tea party with the art group and to make tissue paper suncatchers.

It all started with a book that Maia currently loves, called Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret Chodos-Irvine.

She has the entire thing memorized and likes to trade off “reading” the pages. The book is about a little girl who wants to dress up in colorful (mismatched) clothes but her family keeps suggesting practical, plain clothes. Ella Sarah prevails, dresses to the nines, and then the doorbell rings. All her friends are dressed up too and they have a tea party! Maia asks for a tea party every time we read the book, so we decided to have one for the art group.

We read Ella Sarah Gets Dressed first thing in the morning, Maia picked out her own outfit (not too outlandish), and we made strawbery scones and almond cookies.

Maia’s eating a scone before her friends show up. I completely forgot to take photos after everyone arrived, unfortunately, but I did take some of our art project.

I wanted a mess-free art project since we were asking people to come dressed up. So we made suncatchers with tissue paper and Con-Tact paper — a project that Julie Liddle of Art in Hand had told me was a favorite in her classes.

The kids tore colored tissue paper into little pieces while we taped the Con-Tact paper to the windows sticky-side out. We gave each child a little plastic bag of the torn tissue paper and they arranged the pieces on the sticky paper. Here’s Caleb, above, working on his suncatcher. Afterwards, we added another piece of Con-Tact paper to the top, sandwiching in the tissue paper.

Oh, and by the way, Ella Sarah Get’s Dressed was loaned to us by a friend. We swapped boxes of our daughters’ toys and books temporarily, partly just as a way to share but also so our daughters would have renewed interest in their own toys when they got them back. We’ve really enjoyed the swap and recommend that everyone try it! It’s been a great way to try new things that I wouldn’t think to buy or just don’t have the money to buy.

Comments

Oh, and really cute!! Will love to try this and read the book. dress up is one of our favorites around here now.

I bought our Con-Tact paper at the art supply store (AC Moore I think), but had to ask where it was. They just sold the clear stuff, which is what I needed. I’ve been told that they also sell it at grocery stores and drug stores in the section with the opaque shelf lining paper. And you can buy it online at Discount School Supply (http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16955keyword=con-tact%20paper). Hope this helps!

3. 123pizza says

What an excellent idea! I will have to do this with my daughter. By the way, I linked to your blog today.

I think we might try this next week. I’ll be sure to link to you if we do! Thanks for the great idea. BTW… I found you several weeks ago via the Crafty Crow and have been enjoying you ever since. :)

Looks like the kids liked the suncatcher idea. I love seeing them all in the window. I wish I had a kitchen with that much natural light! Also fun to collect nature items (leaves, flower petals, and whatever else catches your toddlers eyes), for this activity.

A brilliant idea! I’m definitely going to do this- so easy and yet also really pretty. My children love painting but it takes so long to clear up afterwards… Thanks for the idea.

I LOVE this idea! For this question:
    Shawn said,
    June 5, 2008 @ 1:41 pm
    where do you buy Con-Tact paper? Ive had the hardest time finding it.
    I found mine at Wal-mart! It was in the kitchen isles by the dish drainers and shelf/drawer liner. They have cute patterns for your kitchen, but they almost always have a large roll of clear there too! I love this stuff!

8. Carissa says

Love your site! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and inspiring me. We love this contact paper idea though we’ve done ours a bit differently and I thought I would share. Instead of tissue paper we go on a walk and collect items like leaves, flowers, grass, etc. then arrange and sandwich them exactly as you did. The great thing is that this project illustrates seasons nicely and introduces the concept of decomposition as you watch the items decompose over the course of a week or so. Have fun!! Carissa

[...] table and let her placed them on the laminating papers. This activity was brought to me by the Artful Parent whom she inspired lots of parents out there including myself. Personally this activity aids the [...]