Maia’s hand quilt

I'm finally finishing a quilt I started for Maia before she was born. When I was pregnant I asked family and a few close friends to send me their hand tracings so I could make a quilt that was part family tree, part just all the people who will love and care for my baby.

I had completed the quilt top but then stopped working on it (and stopped sewing altogether) when we moved to Asheville. And for a while I thought I might just pay to have someone else make the quilt sandwich and quilt it all together. I've never done a big one like this, just a couple little things, and it was (IS!) daunting to me.

But now that I'm sewing again, I figured I'd give it a try. So the other night when I was sick and should have gone to bed early, I stayed up until 3am doing some last minute sewing and assembling the quilt sandwich and basting it all together. I'm going to machine quilt it although I go back and forth about possibly hand quilting around each of the hands. But man! I don't know if I could handle the time factor. I'm not very patient.

Comments

wow – that is a beautiful idea, I have no quilting advice, I am sure I don’t have the patience to make a quilt.

2. threegirlpileup says

What a wonderful idea, so inspiring.
    I have so many quilt ideas in my head but can’t seem to find the time to sew them since I became a mama!

That is a really beautiful quilt. Do you think you could just machine-quilt the white parts and edges, then leave the hands to do later, a little at a time? I agree that hand-quilting around each hand would be a really nice touch.

Wow, it looks really beautiful. I saved my favorite baby clothes from my two girls in hopes of making a quilt either for them, or for me and my husband (since they might not have the same sentimental attachment to their clothes that we do), but seeing as how I never sew, that might not be the project to start off with!

What a fabulous quilt! So beautiful and so special!
    I have a similar quilt that needs to be pieced together and assembled. I’ve been procrastinating. Our daughter is Chinese so we are working on a 100 Good Wishes quilt, which is a tradition in China. Your post has inspired me to finish up her quilt! Thanks!

Thanks everyone! Susanna – I like your idea of doing the machine quilting around the white part now and then just hand quilting around the hands a bit at a time. Thanks.

7. Shelly says

That is a fabulous quilt. I have been inspired to steal your idea. Did you use a particular pattern? Since I’m new to quilting I have no idea what kind of design that is.

I LOVE this idea for a quilt! It is so-o-o beautiful! Did you applique the hands on? I’m also curious about something I see in the picture. It looks like there is writing beside each hand. Did you embroider or write the name of the hand’s owner? So curious about this quilt. I would love to steal this idea for my kiddos. Beautiful…thanks for sharing!

Yes, the hands are appliqued on with a zigzag stitch. And I just wrote the names next to each hand with a permanent marker. I thought about embroidering them for about 2 seconds, but decided to go for the permanent marker.

That is such a lovely inspiring idea, and a such a nice way for Maia to be reminded of all the important people in her life especially ones that she doesn’t see everyday.

11. Ginger says

My goodness!! I never leave comments, but I must say, wow, I love the quilt! So sentimental; I am very sentimental. Congrats to you.
    Oh, and I LOVE Asheville. It really chaps my hide that I can’t live there. ‘Asheville seems to be so us (meaning my husband and I). My husband works for Delta and we are stuck in Atlanta. I just got back a few days ago from visiting Brevard/Dupont State Forest.
    When I first saw your blog, I thougt to myself, “If I lived in Asheville, that I would help you with all those kids for FREE, just to participate in your art group with my almost 3 year old.”

12. Lindsay says

I know this is from years ago, but I am attempting to make one for a baby shower present. I see you zig zag sticthed the hands on. Are the stitches really close so it won’t fray? OR did you tuck the raw edges under? Thanks so much, I love your blog! I get a lot of ideas for my kindergarten class from you!