Room re-do part III: a chalkboard and a felt board

I've been wanting to make a felt board and a wall-mounted chalkboard for a while now and finally got around to both. They were super easy (and cheap!) to make and I think they look great.

Here's what I did:

First, Harry had two pieces of 1/4 inch thick board cut to size (2 feet square I think) for me at Lowes. For the chalkboard, I painted it with regular wall primer first, then sprayed with two coats of Rust-Oleum chalk board spray paint. So easy!

And the felt board was easy too. I sprayed the wood with a spray adhesive (I used Elmers), then quickly attached a large piece of cream-colored wool felt that I bought at the fabric store, smoothing out the wrinkles with my hands. I turned the board over so the felt was underneath (but sticking out a couple inches on each side), sprayed the adhesive around the edges of the back, then smoothed the felt ends up and over. I used a couple of tacks at each corner to help hold the felt in place, but probably didn't need them.

Harry screwed them both into the wall for me. And Maia got straight to work with her chalks, and then her felt pieces. I haven't made any new felt pieces for her yet, but will soon. I think I'll start with some fall-themed cut-outs — maybe a tree, some leaves, pumpkins, etc.

I love this area and think (hope!) that it will get a lot of use over the next few years. It's still a work in progress. I need to figure out a place to keep chalk and felt pieces nearby — perhaps a bag or basket under each board. And I may add a corkboard strip or a wire above for displaying current artwork.

By the way, there are so many great felt board ideas out there. Thanks everyone for sending me links, especially Amber who was kind enough to send hers again after I lost the first e-mail! Here are a few:

Three Sneaky Bugs has a great step-by-step tutorial for making a framed felt board. She also has a post about making flower felt pieces.

What Caroline Says uses a flannel and felt combo and talks about using it as a storyboard.

Here's a portable felt board at A Little Hut.

Scrumdilly-do! has wonderful felt pieces that are embellished with fusible webbing and drawings.

Teaching Tiny Tots made a large felt board on foamcore and a few smaller ones (travel anyone?) on pizza boxes.

Did I miss any?

Oh, and there's even a felt board flickr group with more ideas. Bring on the felt!

Comments

1. threesneakybugs says

I love how you have the two of them right next to each other. Wish I had the wall space for that. I’ve been meaning to paint the back of Seth’s door with the chalk paint. Don’t know what’s been holding me back. Other than time.
    Also, I can’t wait to see what you come up with for holding the felt pieces. To date I’ve just had ours in a large coffee can but would prefer something right on the wall. Wouldn’t a little metal trough under each one look great? Each about the same length as the boards. One for felt pieces and one for chalk erasers. Of course, I have no idea were you would find that.

2. Prerna says

This is a great idea and they look awesome, for the felt pieces do you back them with cardboard to make them stiff and how do you attach the sandpaper so that they stick to the felt board.
    Thanks for all your awesome ideas.

At my daughter’s preschool they keep the chalk in a metal lidded mailbox that is meant to be hung by the front door of a house. You know, like this one. Hopefully you can find something that is a lot less expensive though! Maybe a secondhand mailbox.

Thanks for all the great felt board links. I’m in the planning stages of making a felt board calendar and these will be great for inspiration. Thanks!

I have been out of town and unable to keep up with your progress on here. How exciting to see the finished product!! Both boards look great! I can’t believe how vibrant the chalk shows up on the chalkboard. I’m thinking we’ll definitely make a chalkboard one of these days.
    You are an inspiration in deciding on a project and getting it done. Glad the links helped!

Oooh, what room did you put these in? I was lamenting that our kids’ closet doors are a bit beat up in their rooms (older house with abuse from prior residents), but… then the beauty is that we can stick things on the doors and do all sorts of things without worrying about ruining a “nice” door.
    As for a trough, like Three Sneaky Bugs mentioned, this made me think of Jim Trelease’s book, The Read Aloud Handbook. He suggests using pieces of rain gutter for book displays, maybe that would work as a wall mounted storage spot for your materials.
    Have fun!

I’ve been wanting to get around to this and this looks like an easy way to do a felt board…I already have the spot picked out! I do have a question…I’m a felt board newbie…what kind of felt do I need? Obviously a big piece for the background…I’ll buy that by the yard. But, will those small sheets of craft felt work for the shapes, figures, etc.? Or do I need the 100% wool felt by the yard for that too?

8. MoummaPusia says

Nothing seems to be easier than seeing someone whom you can help but not helping.
    I suggest we start giving it a try. Give love to the ones that need it.
    God will appreciate it.