A Valentine’s face and a few others

jvphotos_01-2009_pic0342

Here's the current status of artful activities in our household: lots of drawing by Maia, nothing artful whatsoever by yours truly, and very little painting or other use of the studio by anyone (partly my fault, partly weather-related since it's an unheated space).

Maia regularly asks for fun "projects" — i.e. anything involving painting, shaving cream, messes, food coloring, more messes, paint splattering, painting with trucks, color mixing, etc. and I regularly put her off and instead hand her paper and markers and encourage her to draw. Because it is almost completely mess free and requires little planning or cleaning on my part.

Embarrassing, but true.

This is going to change. Soon. Really.

jvphotos_01-2009_pic0321

However, on the bright side, I love watching Maia's drawings evolve. She's been cranking out faces lately.
Here are a few of my favorites. I love the red heart eye above. Probably not intentional, but cool nonetheless, especially since Valentine's day is around the corner.

jvphotos_01-2009_pic0344

Here she's drawn some arms and legs to go with a face.

jvphotos_01-2009_pic0350

But then she decided to cut out just the face and also asked me to help cut out some of her other faces and shapes.

One of these days I might get my act together and embroider one of her faces onto a pillow a la Soule Mama. But for now, I'm going to focus on aiding and abetting some messy art as soon as possible.

Comments

1. andreamcmann says

I did the embroidered pillow thing with one of my son’s drawings. It was so great! Hannah isn’t drawing faces yet, but she did draw a really good ladder the other day, and she meant to do it, too! :)

Ahh such a great idea. embroidering your childs art. I’ve been trying to think of some sort of embroidery project to do. This woud be perfect. thanks for passing on the idea!

3. Jean says

Hi!
    I like water-colour pencils – the kids feel like they’re painting but it’s almost impossible for them to make a mess because they need so little water!
    Jean

4. poetsandsaints says

I really like reading your blog for inspiration for children’s art. I am a former teacher-turned writer and really enjoy the new ideas! Thank you for sharing.

The faces are great. And I highly encourage trying the embroidery. I let my kids draw directly onto fabric with a fabric pen (that gradually fades away) and then I embroider directly over it. Easy, fun to do, and the results are always great. Also, good for gift giving (t-shirts, tea towels, bags, etc). I have also done several t-shirts for my kids and they love wearing their artwork. Here’s the first shirt I with my son:
    I think Maia’s faces would look great on fabric!

Kindred spirits….the mom’s in my classes always gush about how “lucky” my kids are…they imagine we must be knee deep in paint around here all the time, but I can relate to sometimes feeling like I don’t have the energy for it. We’re only human…and the boring messes are always there to be dealt with (the dishes, the laundry, etc, which doesn’t always leave time/energy for the fun ones!) I’m on my husband’s computer, and for some reasons your photos arent’ loading. I’ll have to check back.

Oh, do the soulemama project! I did a couple for xmas gifts and they are TRULY awesome!! I love knowing that my son’s art is “forever” out there, you know?!! And the gift receivers LOVED getting them!