Eating snow and wearing paper plates

jeansphotos_03-2009_pic0029

These snow pics are from Monday and courtesy of Harry who romped around with Maia in the freezing cold while I stayed warm inside looking at gardening catalogs and thinking about spring. Do all children like snow this much?

jeansphotos_03-2009_pic0045

jeansphotos_03-2009_pic01161

And yesterday Maia and I made paper plate masks before dinner. She drew the face above and I cut out the eyes and mouth for her then stapled on a piece of elastic to hold it on her head. I almost used string but am glad I chose the elastic because it makes it easy for her to put on and take off herself.

jeansphotos_03-2009_pic0126

Maia cut the eyes and nose out of mine and pretty much everything else as well. This kid loves to cut. Her table and the surrounding floor are usually littered with little pieces of paper.

I'd like to try this again with collage materials — perhaps feathers, cotton balls, glitter, fabric scraps, and sequins.

Comments

1. potagergardengirl says

In the 3rd pic, is that a pocket on the wall? I think I remember a post where you said you made them or bought them?? I’d really like to try my hand at this it’s awesome!

2. Arista says

Hi Jean,
    I see in the last picture that you have the pocket organizer from IKEA! I have been meaning to post about using this as an organizer for felt pieces – after asking if anyone had good ideas for organizing their felt pieces, someone mentioned that some type of pocket organizer hung on the wall below the felt board would work well. Then I stumbled upon this at IKEA a couple weeks later, thought it would be perfect, and am THRILLED with it!
    Love your blog, and your ideas – very inspiring.

Yep, it’s a pocket organizer from IKEA. It’s great for keeping art supplies handy but not on top of her table. I like the idea of using it to store felt pieces, too!

Hi! I find your blog really inspiring. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas. Just wanted to share that I really liked where you placed your IKEA pocket organizer. What a great use of space.

Wonderful photos of your girl. My dd loves eating snow, too. She is practically obsessed with it, and we’ve gotten more snow than usual this year.

My 2 1/2 year old LOVES to use his scissors!! I just posted pictures of him cutting away (with a little help from his tongue, which he sticks out in concentration). Too cute.
    By the way, I love The List and am starting to stockpile materials for lots of the projects.
    Thank you!!

7. ahimsamama says

My daughter also considers snow a multi-sensory experience – she eats it, smells it, insists on not wearing gloves so she can feel it too. Ah, to be young like that again….