Experimenting with Watercolors and Melted Crayons

Melted Crayons Art

Here's a melted crayons art project that even the youngest kid can do (unlike drawing on a hot cookie sheet, as we did recently)!

Melted Crayons Art

Melted Crayons Art with Shavings

First, I had Maia select three crayon colors, which I then grated on a cheese grater. Pink and red are shown together above. The white one is actually a grated wax candle. She then arranged the crayon shavings on a piece of watercolor paper (kind of like when we make melted crayon stained glass).

Melted Crayons Art

Then, I set a piece of wax paper over the paper and the crayon shavings and used the iron (on a low setting) to melt the crayon.

Melted Crayons Art

Here's the melted crayons design. Next time I think I'd use just the crayon and no wax candle, since the melted candle looks a little too much like grease stains to me.

Melted Crayons Art

Finally, as soon as paper cooled down, Maia painted over the crayon and paper with watercolors.

Melted Crayons Art

I love this!

To adapt this idea for realism, a child could draw a picture — a house for example — then add crayon shavings of one color within the lines of the roof, and crayon shavings of another color for the door, etc.

This is a project that even a two year old could do, but I think it's one that an older child would enjoy as well. Or an adult. I'd personally like to make a rainbow out of different colored crayon shavings! Or flowers.

I think I need to start doing more art alongside Maia rather than just putting together projects for her!

Comments

1. Stephanie says

Okay so I tried this tonight with my 6 1/2 year old adn 2 1/2 year old and as I type they are still completely enthralled by this project! Thank you for a wonderful fresh idea!

Oh, thank you SO much for this post. We tried a project with crayon shavings and wax paper a few months ago, and it was a disaster. I was so disappointed. This looks like a great method– I think we’ll try it out this week!!

3. jayme says

I absolutely love all of the creative ideas you have for nurturing creativity in children. We’ve been putting many of your suggestions to use around here, and have really been enjoying the process of exploring different artistic mediums.
    I would definitely recommend that you sit down with Maia and do the projects yourself. I’ve always loved art, but have been a bit intimidated by the process. I’ve found that getting involved with these easily accessible, open ended, process-oriented projects with my children has opened me up in ways I couldn’t possibly have anticipated!
    Thanks again for all you do!

4. Chandra says

This is awesome! I always look for fun crafts for my 2 year old, and most are still hard for him. But this was SO FUN! We did this for a long time and have kept on getting the supplies out and doing some more. THank you!!

5. Vanessa says

This is soo cool. We have some old crayons that I have been saving for a great project..I think this is the one! Thanks for sharing!

6. [email protected] says

Your blog so inspires me! I teach a preschool art class and I’m always looking for fun new projects for my kids! Thank you!