Reading: colors and lines

JeansPics_01-2010_Pic0356

Here are a couple of artful books we're enjoying from the library right now:

RedSings

Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors by Joyce Sidman and illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski

I love this one!! The whimsical combination of poetry and image is perfect. The colors of each season (and their sounds, smells, associations) are celebrated.

For example:

In SPRING,

Red sings

from treetops:

cheer-cheer-cheer,

each note dropping

like a cherry

into my ear.

And, in fall:

Red splashes fall trees,

seeps into

every vein

of every five-fingered leaf.

Red swells

on branches bent low.

Red: crisp, juicy

crunch!

JeansPics_01-2010_Pic0341

Here's a detail from one of the winter pages (above):

In the winter woods,

Gray and Brown

hold hands.

Their brilliant sisters –

Red, Orange, and Yellow —

have all gone home.

Gray and Brown sway shyly,

the only beauties left.

JeansPics_01-2010_Pic0342

Lines that Wiggle by Candace Whitman and illustrated by Steve Wilson is simple but fun, especially for the younger ones. The lines (or some of them anyway) are raised and glittery, so little fingers can trace and feel them.

JeansPics_01-2010_Pic0344

What are you and your kiddos reading?

Comments

These both sound great! We’re really into Nothing to Do by Russell Hoban (author of the Frances books), Wild Animal Baby magazines, What Bluebirds Do by Pamela Kirby (gorgeous photos), and Snow Is My Favorite and My Best by Lauren Child.

I have heard a great song about colors by the Nields, maybe I can find the lyrics and send them to you. The first book reminds me of it.

Always enjoy all your blog entries. I am hosting a art giveaway that you might find interesting. Stop by when you have a chance and take a peek.
    Blessings
    Diane

4. Michele M says

I love your posts like this… We bought Yellow Umbrella for Christmas and love it! I can’t wait to check these books out too. My daughter loves glitter!! Thanks!

5. Katherine says

Thanks for more great book recommendations. We are all LOVING anything by Shirley Hughes right now, the Alfie books in particular.

Wonderful artful book suggestions! We are not reading as much as I would like here in Ireland…sorry to complain but the local libraries (I’ve been to three) do not have the wide variety of books we are used to finding in American libraries. I’ll look for your book suggestions but will probably not find them :(

7. Frances says

Have you seen the _Follow the Line_ books by Laura Ljungkvist? My son loves to follow the lines with his fingers. The drawings are interesting to look at, and there are questions on each page to elicit a conversation. Thanks for your blog, Jean!

8. Alex says

Art Dog by Thatcher Hurd, Micawber (painting squirrel) by John Lithgow, Elemenopeo (painting cat) by Harriet Ziefert, and the books by the Play With Your Food guys. Right now we have One Lonely Sea Horse, with all the ocean creatures made out of fruit and veg!