A new cloak and some children’s gardening ideas

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2289

I've been wanting to make one of these cloaks for a long time now, and finally did it. I complicated things a little by lining it, but the basic tutorial (by indietutes) is super easy. I meant this for Maia's dress up box, but she's been wearing it everywhere. She's climbing a tree at May Faire with her friend Stella in the photo above.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2195

Here's a photo with the hood up. I used a thrifted skirt for the green fabric and lined it with a pink and white floral print.

Also, unrelated, I've been thinking of more child-friendly fun ideas for the garden that I'd like to do:

• Make some concrete stepping stones and decorate them with Maia using leaves, flowers, pebbles, etc.
  • Build a garden weaving structure to do all kinds of large, outdoor weaving on throughout the year using rope, yarn, sticks, flowers, grasses, etc. Use this as inspiration. Also, thanks to Elizabeth and her comment on my teepee post for the idea.
  • Make garden wish flags.
  • Put up more birdhouses.
  • Plant a sensory garden in containers. Have pots of moss, grass, hens & chicks (and what else?) on a table.
  • Make a beaded wind chime. I saw a great tutorial for one a while back but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Comments

1. Maria says

I *love* the idea of the garden weaving. I can’t wait to see how you do it and possibly copying you…

2. tasha says

Hey there,
    I’m in South Florida, and have been to some pretty awesome sensory gardens down here. I don’t know if you guys up North can grow the same things, but citrus- especially lime and orange leaves have incredible scents, and you can crush them in hand for even more fragrance. Mint. Any herbs, really. Anything that attracts native butterflies, lamb’s ears, are what come to mind immediately.

3. arb says

I want to make concrete steppers too but a friend recently told me that concrete is extremely (acidic? alkaline? can’t remember), but whatever the Ph issue, it is caustic to skin. Ideas? Latex gloves? Generous coating of vaseline?

4. arb says

Also, at Sadie’s preschool we had some parents install two small sound walls using graduated lengths of metal pipe on one, and bamboo on the other. It was a simple structure and looks amazing! They also made a wattle-type fence to cordon off a new play area, with stumps arranged as stools and tables: that would be a fun weaving project.

Have you seen any living willow playhouses? They are so neat looking and seem easy to build if you can find willow shoots.

We have lambs ears, mint, and other herbs growing in our garden already. Although maybe I could put a few in pots for the sensory table I have in mind. I’ve thought of growing smaller citrus trees in pots but don’t have a good, sunny spot inside for them to spend the winter.

I know you need to wear a dust mask and rubber gloves. I was thinking of doing all the mixing and pouring myself and then bring Maia into the project just when it’s time to decorate the wet cement steps — adding leaves, pebbles, etc. I’d make sure she’s wearing gloves and is careful.

Fun ideas! I’ve thought of adding a music/sound wall like the one in SouleMama’s book, but we’re pretty close to the neighbors and I’m not sure they’d appreciate it! The bamboo one you mention sounds less noisy though…

been meaning to tell you how much i adore that cloak!! she received so many compliments on it at may faire. ;)

10. Kim says

I love the cloak–so cute! You could do a fairy garden with her–we made one with the boys (only we called it a frog garden and decorated with frogs instead of fairies)! They love the little plants and that its a tiny little world they create.

What a fantastic cloak! No wonder Maia doesn’t want to take it off! Great job, Mama!
    Thank you for sharing the source. What a fun site!
    Thanks too for the idea of a sensory table. I’ve been wanting to set up more special spaces around the house (like a nature table) now that my wee one is more out of the seek-and-destroy-or-shove-in-mouth baby mode. I bet my girls would love that!

Love it when you do all the work for me :) I have a similar list somewhere on my computer with a few projects I think you’ll love. I’ll send them your way after the holiday weekend. Enjoy your weekend

Oh, that cloak is so darling! If only there was more time in the day…I’ll have to keep this in mind for a future project. Love all of the garden ideas. You really have me thinking!

That cloak makes her look like a druid princess! Scattering seeds of love, mm-hmm. I don’t quite get the wish flags, but I was thinking of having a garden that doubles as a croquet playing field too.