A Cake for Outer Space :: Decorating with Kids

Decorating a Cake with Kids

I am such a sucker for children's art, that when Maia asked if we could bake a chocolate cake so that she could decorate it "like outer space", I had to say yes! Of course!

Decorating a Cake with Kids

So this afternoon found us baking this chocolate cake, icing it, and walking to the store for a tube of sparkly decorator icing. Maia drew the planets from our solar system orbiting around a happy sun. She added an extra planet for good measure. And I haven't told her that Pluto's not considered a planet anymore — it seems to be her favorite.

Decorating a Cake with Kids

Maia used sprinkles to color in and decorate the planets and the sun.

Decorating a Cake with Kids

And here is is, before we sliced it open to see what a chocolate version of the solar system tastes like.

After I posted about our plan to make this cake, Susan Marie Swanson sent me this link to a moon cake that Amy Karol at Angry Chicken made — an ice cream bombe showing the layers of the moon. How cool is that! She made it after reading Midnight on the Moon with her girls, a book that we've read recently too. Like many kids, Maia loves the Magic Tree House books!

Comments

1. Michele de Jesus says

Ha ha! What a lucky lucky girl! Art AND chocolate cake — yum! Although I like the taste of plain cake, no sprinkles. I can only imagine my child coming up with this idea and asking to do such art every day! He’s sensitive to sugar so would be bouncing off the walls — like an astronaut! Hmm, I’m really craving edible art right now!

2. Carly says

That turned out great! What a creative little girl you have (and a wonderful, supportive mom she has)!

3. Maria says

A moon book we love is Walk When the Moon is Full. It’s old, but you can find it on amazon. Each chapter is only a couple of pages of the true story a full moon walk taken by the mom and two kids – one chapter for each full moon of the year.
    It’s perfect for bedtime reading because it’s soothing and SHORT!

Delightful! My children love Pluto too. I think it might be because they are reminded of Disney’s Pluto. They were quite excited to learn it was a Dwarf Planet.

Awesome! When you first showed Maia decorating with just the icing, I thought, wow -cute. But then you showed all the sprinkles after and then I thought, WOW! Really cute.
    Great job!
    Tricia

6. butterflywishes and wonderland dreams says

I’m so making this recipe for my oldest girls bday party! :)

That is a fabulous combination of chocolate and art! I will definitely try that idea with my kids. My 6yo son is very interested in the solar system at the moment – I wrote a post about two of our favourite moon books on my blog. He even chose some rocket material for me to sew him some pyjamas!

8. char says

In that heat, with no AC, and baking a cake just because your daughter asked you to…. you are so kind and generous! Hope it’s extra yummy for the extra energy you put forth. Enjoy! (Isn’t it a thrill to see their wishes be fulfilled?)