A Purple Monster Costume from Maia’s Drawing

Purple Monster Costume from Kid's Drawing

The purple monster costume is finally finished! And about time, too. Maia asked for it way back in May and I dawdled (and dawdled some more), partly because I had no idea how to go about making one and partly because I couldn't find much time to sew.

Purple Monster Costume from Kids Drawing

But we picked out the fabric together (purple crushed velvet, of course) a while back, and I sketched up a possible translation of her awesome drawing (above), and eventually it all came together.

Purple Monster Costume from Kids Drawing

I was winging it the whole time, but am pretty happy with how the costume turned out.

Purple Monster Costume from Kids Drawing

I attached the spikes (stiffened with heavyweight pellon) along the pant seams as well as along the top of the arms and around the edge of the hood. I altered a purple long-sleeve t-shirt as the top, which made it a little easier, I think, although maybe I'm fooling myself. It looks cool, anyway. And makes me want to experiment with altering more t-shirts.

Purple Monster Costume from Kids Drawing

The only thing that I'm not so happy with is is the hood. It needs some tweaking. I was hoping the spikes would stand up and out, away from her face, but am not sure how to make them do that. Any ideas? Maia's completely in love with the costume, though, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it!

Purple Monster Costume from Kids Drawing

The pants have a fold-over yoga-style waistband, which worked out really well.

Now I'm just wondering what she'll dress up as for her birthday party! A princess or a monster? Or maybe a costume change half way through?

Comments

1. [email protected] says

Great costume. If she is in love with it, it is perfect! Remember you did it for her not foe you!

The costume is awesome! I love the hood – especially from the back – looks like a cape with hood – very chic purple monster. No wonder she loves it!

You have done an amazing job. If I were a child I would like the way the hood falls around the face. It’s mysterious and monsterly :)

4. Nicole says

Very cute. My mom made me a flower costume with the petals at 180 degrees from my face when I was about that age – I think she sewed in a long thin channel in each petal and stuffed it with wire (maybe from a hanger?) so she could bend it up… sewing up the channel so it wouldn’t poke me of course.

That is amazing! You did a fantastic job! I will not be showing this post to my girls because they will want me to make them one for sure! I am not a great sewer (yet). Maybe one day!
    Tricia

Wow! I love the costume! And Maia looks super cute and super happy in that. And why not! After-all she’s designed it! You both make a great designer duo… :)
    Don’t fret about the spikes not standing away from her face…She looks so cute with those falling over her face and she looking through it with half closed eyes! Pls give her a hug from my side. God bless her…

7. Michaela says

What an awesome costume, and such a fun project since Maia got to help design it! I hope I can learn to sew like that someday (and also find the time to follow through with a project!)

8. Ann says

Super – just a wonderful translation of her drawing! I tend to alter sweat pants/shirts with my boys for their halloween costumes each year and have fun with it. Using Pellon is a great idea, I will definitely try that with the ones we have to do this fall. My 9 year old wants to be a dust bunny so I have some thinking on that one.

of course she’s thrilled with it, it’s gorgeous! bravo super mommy! i vote for costume change halfway through. ;)

You have officially just earned the title of Best.Mom.Ever. I will totally be stealing this idea, but I doubt I will be able to translate a drawing of my daughter’s to fabric as well as you. This is awesome!

My suggestion is the same as an earlier poster but I suggest NOT using wire, use flexible aquarium tubing from the petstore. It is much safer! I’d sew it into a channel around the entire hood (framing the face) and then frame each point with it as well. OR you might be able to just get away with interfacing in the points.

It looks great! just like her picture, I am sure she loves it just as it is, I won’t be showing my son this post…it might give him ideas lol

13. michelle says

no-don’t change it! i love the hood as is. not really a mask, but not really a hood…she can hide a little behind it which prob makes her feel all the more like a monster!

14. kelli says

What a wonderful costume!
    Of course you should make a 2-piece princess costume so it can be interchanged with the top and bottom of the monster. That would be awesome.

oh yay! I’m so glad you actually went through with it. It turned out just like the drawing and totally wearable! well done. I don’t know if I’m brave enough to ask my daughter to draw something yet!