Coffee filter holiday garlands

CoffeeFilterGarland_Pic6

Have you tried painting on coffee filters with watercolor paint? The paint colors spread readily, which makes it a fun activity for kids to do with either brushes or droppers. We recently did some coffee filter painting in Christmas colors, then used them to make a holiday garland.

CoffeeFilterGarland_Pic3

First we painted the coffee filters, using our liquid watercolors (regular watercolors or even food coloring would work as well).

CoffeeFilterGarland_Pic4

CoffeeFilterGarland_Pic5

After the painted coffee filters dried, we folded them in half and glued them over a ribbon.

CoffeeFilterGarland_Pic7

Here are the finished garlands! You can use them to decorate the house or the tree.

For step-by-step directions for these and four other simple holiday garlands, read my December column for WNC Parent magazine. Click here, enter page 48 in the search field at the top, then click on the actual page in order to make it large enough to read.

Let me know if you make this garland! I'd love to hear…

Comments

Jean, I love these! We have painted on coffee filters before but I never would have thought of this. You are a genius. Also, we made an advent tree similar to yours, I’ll try and get some pictures up, it was a great sick day activity. Thanks so much for all your great ideas — as always, I love them!

this is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Oh I love it so much and I can now see our walls plastered with coffee filter garland. Thank you!

I really enjoyed your article at Rhythm of the Home. That’s exactly the kind of experiences I’m trying to provide for my kids. And I’m sure we’ll be trying that tape-resist project, too. ;)

ooohhh! love these! maybe we’ll give them a go at our art group this week. i’ll be sure to link to pictures if we give it a go! thanks for all the awesome ideas…your article was great! ;-)

You’re amazing!!!
    Did you know that there is a SCBWI BIG conference in NYC in January?? Lois Lowry, R. L. Stine, Jules Pfeiffer, more. You should go. Yes, I know you have lots of responsibilities, but this is where you would meet an editor etc.
    Love, love,
    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

6. Michaela says

Thanks for a simple and totally do-able decorating project! My older girls (3 & 6) want so badly to help decorate the house and I was trying to come up with a project they could help with. This is perfect!

7. Jodie says

Fantastic idea! I’m totally going to try this with my Pre-K class and hang in on our wall of windows…I can’t wait to see the outcome :)

You know I love art, and I have a chance to bring art to 6000+ teachers, in 50 states! Free workshops!! But I have to win the Pepsi grant.
    Please encourage your blog readers to vote for me. I need DAILY votes through Dec. 31 to win, and I know that’s a lot to ask. Any vote counts, any vote is appreciated.
    Here are three ways to vote (you can do all three in one day, but only once a day):
    1.) Direct vote at: http://www.refresheverything.com/greatartkids
    (You have to sign up first with the program to be a verfied voter.)
    2.) Text your vote – no sign up needed.
    Text these numbers: 104840 To Pepsi’s phone: 73774
    3.) Go to Facebook and vote through the Pepsi Voting App.
    This is pretty easy.
    Thank you for your votes. Maybe I can come to your town if I win?