Silverberry – a new wall color in the studio

Nocookplaydough18

I've repainted the studio! I ended up going with silverberry, or lavender, really, a color that is making me very happy at the moment. It feels creative — perfect for the studio — but also peaceful.

(Here is an older post about the studio, in case you want to remember what it looked like with green walls. Very different.)

I'm adding a fresh coat of paint to the cement floors, too, which really makes a difference. They were getting grubby and paint splattered. As you can see from the photo, I still have the white "tiles" to paint. But I'm almost there!

Once the painting is finished and the shelves and drying wall wires are replaced, I'm planning to head to an Ikea for these adjustable children's tables I've been coveting. So excited!

Nocookplaydough19  Nocookplaydough20

Question for you. What do you think about that green chest of drawers that's holding many of our art supplies? Should I leave it as is or repaint it? And if I painted it, what color would you suggest? Red? Purple? White?

Comments

Ditto on the wall color, but I vote for repainting the chest white unless the wood underneath looks good in an unfinished state. I think I’m going with the clean and fresh look you’ve got working in the studio as you head into spring. Come autumn, I might be thinking that chest should be red… ;)

Love it. Change is good, eh? Although I have to say, I love the green chest (green is my favorite color though, so take it for what it is worth). I swear, I don’t know how you manage to get all the things done that you do! :)

Looks great! I had no idea that was a concrete floor, I thought it was really tiles! I would paint the chest but not sure what color…maybe chalkboard paint or mod podge it with tin foilnfor a silver leaf look if you want a project, might be fun for the girls to play with the tin foil :)

4. Gina Malewicz says

I’d paint the chest. I was thinking white but red might be really cool. It was the yellowish of the door that bothered me when I first saw this. Is the door wood? If not maybe you could paint that white and then the green chest would look great as is.

I love the new wall color, and I love the color of the chest, but they don’t really go together. :(
    I’d go with a deep purple or a blue. White would look nice and crisp, but would show dirt, paint, etc, fast.
    The checked floor is awesome! The fact that you painted it is even better! I’d love a floor like that in my kitchen, but we have linoleum in there that wouldn’t take paint well.
    Have fun at IKEA! I’ve been wanting to make a pilgrimage there myself, and mine is only an hour away! I’ll probably go next week.
    Did you see the adorable cookie cutters I got the last time I was there? They’re in my most recent blog post: http://web.me.com/redshoearts/Redshoearts/Blog/Entries/2011/2/20_making_springtime.html

6. elisa.b says

Lovely color!
    I wouldn’t repaint the dresser though. People say in other comments that it doesn’t match but I think it does. When I first saw it in the pictures, I thought “Ah! I want that dresser, it’s green!” Any other color wouldn’t match too well with the new walls, I think. Except maybe yellow.

7. Erin says

lavender-great color (which paint manufacturer did you go with, I you don’t mind me asking) & I love the green drawers…the lavender background really makes the green pop! I vote leave as is. ;)

8. Tamrah T. says

You already did an amazing transformation of the room with that lovely shade of lavender! Everything has a fun vibe combined: the floor and yes, the green dresser :) It make’s a wonderful focal point just the way it stands.

I would say a dark purple, but really, I think you should leave it as is. The thought of painting all those drawers seems overwhelming (at least to me!).

I love this color! And your floor, too. I’d leave the drawers, the green looks nice next to the lavender… or maybe red. Something that pops against the wall. Thanks for sharing… my husband might come home to new walls!

11. Laura says

The wall color is pretty! I would repaint the chest either white or a shade of yellow. Mustard yellow, maybe?

12. Kristie says

I second the vote for Eggplant Purple, and for fun, I’m throwing Cerulean Blue into the mix! (Not that it was a color choice from you. I’m just in love with that color right now!)

13. Alex says

That’s the exact color we just painted the master suite! I LOVE it. Behr paint in general, I don’t ever want to use again, but this color!!!In dim light it looks grey. So cool.

14. Bobbi says

Hi Jean. I felt compelled to chime in with my opinions… I wouldn’t re-paint the chest of drawers unless it really needs a new coat and/or you really want that chore of sanding and applying several coats of new paint which you would need to do especially if you went to white over the green (been there, done that). And while I like white painted furniture, white doesn’t make sense to me in your studio where messy little hands are going to be all over it. Have you considered replacing the knobs with something fun and/or colorful that would blend better in your mind with the lavender? I think green and lavender go well together (think of nature), though it may be an issue of the particular shades you have. With purple and green, I like a splash of orange accent in the room. They are all secondary colors. A little yellow is nice too. (Come see Lucie’s room if you want to see how they work.) Also, once you get the floor painted you may think differently about how the green and purple work together, as well as when there are colorful paintings and artwork hanging on the walls again that add more color and dimension to the studio.

15. Jess says

Love the wall colour. I would def paint that door white and the dresser either red, or eggplant. The red would pop so well, esp with the checked floor. But if you leave it, a few orange touches or deep yellow accents would pull it all together. How DO you get it all done?

16. Nancy says

I love the new wall colour, but then again I am a bit biased; that is the same colour that I painted my craft room when we first moved. Although I don’t mind the green drawers, if I was to paint it, I would choose eggplant purple. You have enough white going on in the room and it is a harder colour to keep clean.

17. Jill says

I didn’t realize the floor was painted either. very cool. I would leave the green. If you put some artwork on that little wall above it, it would tie all the colors together I think. Cheers to fresh paint and fresh starts!

18. Rachel says

i was going to say a glossy black or white- seems so classy– until i read bobbi’s comment… which is very compelling!
    another idea: maybe just repaint the drawers a different color? less work and fun… but maybe too busy.

19. Alison says

I love the new color! And purple and green go beautifully together. I would keep it – it’s a nice contrast. Your other choices just seem too matchy-matchy to me.

20. Andrea says

I actually like the purple and green color combo. You see a lot of of those 2 in nature with lilies and even a varities of eggplants. :)

Love all the comments and ideas! Thanks! While I’ve been wanting to paint the chest (eggplant or red!), I agree with Rachel that Bobbi’s comment about sticking with the green is compelling. I may sit on this one for a while…

I love the colour! Nice choice, I find it both soothing and inspiring. And I do think that particular shade of green goes very well with it, it compliments the lavender nicely and adds some playful contrast. White would be a pain in the butt and would look nice and fresh for about two seconds in any studio, (well, at least if I were around…)let alone a studio shared with children.
    It does look a bit lost at the moment, but I think that is just because it is the only thing standing out right now, once you’ve moved things back into place and have more colours around to move your eye, I think it will look perfect.

Could you have the kids decoupage the green chest with favorite pictures, at least the drawer fronts? (If they do the drawers, you could paint the rest, and I think maybe white or some swirly paint for fun that the kids swirl with chopsticks.) I’m having fun telling you to do stuff that makes a mess!

24. Andie says

I can’t believe those are painted concrete floors! I’ve always been in love with black and white tile flooring, so I’m inspired. Any tips to re-create this look?

25. AnnasBananas says

Love, love, love the new paint color- and I TOTALLY didn’t realize that you’d painted the checkerboard “tiles”! Amazing! Could you post a tutorial on that? Would LOVE to do that in my girls soon-to-be basement art space. As for the chest I love MaryAnn’s suggestion of decoupaging it- what fun that would be- both as an activity and visually! If that’s a project for another time then a darker purple if you’d like it to meld with the rest of the room or a really striking red or yellow if you’d like a pop of color (also I noticed both of those colors are on the legs of the new tables) Happy decorating!

The green looks great but a bright purple color would really pop against the lavender walls. Whatever you decide…I’m sure it will be quite “artful”!

27. emma says

I was also going to suggest orange – something that “pops” – worst case, go bright – painting 7 coats of white does not sound like fun :)

I think you want to give it to me! ;) If you want to keep it you’ve got to paint it yellow. They’re supportive to creativity and its just fun together! Go easy and tint your primer….tinted primer is a blessing from above.
    I also say shelves white with yellow edging for accent. Love the tables but id have to spray paint the red and blue legs to match with the room….
    The floor is AMAZING!!!!!!!
    HONEY

I’m not loving the green dresser against the new wall color. The cool tones of the wall versus the warm green is a little too jarring for me. I think a cool turqoise would look great.

30. Christina says

The room is fantastic. I would paint the dresser black using chalkboard paint so it’s another place to create and an ever changing piece as your children grow…to reflect their artistic growth as well. But I think either way, you can’t lose with a room as beautiful as that!

31. Karrie S says

I painted my entrance way that same color. I love it!! It goes with so many fun colors. Orange, yellow, red, blue and dark purple all go beautifully with it. I like the green chest, too. But if you are wanting a change, go for a bright, fun change. Maybe the orange/yellow color. I have a painting in my entry with that color in it and it really pops with the silverberry.

32. Erika says

Love the walls. LOVE the green chest!! I wouldn’t paint it. It goes really well with the walls. The combination reminds me of purple hydrangeas or irises. Love it!

33. Holly says

I LOVE that chest of drawers…I’d say leave it, but then again I like painting furniture :) What about some shade of blue on the gray side??? Good luck..room looks great!

The flooring’s design is truly awesome! It’s suited for a small spaced room, or an apartment type of home. I wish I could make beautiful floorings like this on my living room soon!