We decorated our blown Easter eggs first with oil pastel drawings (Oil pastels glide on so smoothly and don't require much pressure — important for fragile blown-out eggs). Maia's friend Marlise was over to help us.
We dyed the eggs with a store-bought kit.
Then let the eggs dry before starting phase two of the project…
For the next step, we all cut out flowers, butterflies, and random shapes from a set of pretty paper napkins I bought for the purpose.
We used watered-down Elmer's glue to paste the napkin images onto our dyed eggs.
Here are some of mine.
And, um, some more of mine. I'm having a bad Mom moment. I just realized I only took close up photos of my own eggs and not any of Maia's or Marlise's. Oops.
The paper napkin decoupage idea is from Martha Stewart. Here's her tutorial. We were planning to use half the blown eggs for this idea (what I wanted to do) and the other half for the oil pastel resist and dye idea (what Maia wanted to do), but in the end Maia wanted to dye them all and asked why we couldn't just combine the two ideas and glue the paper napkin shapes on top of the dyed eggs. Well, of course we could. And did. I LOVE how they turned out!
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my weekly ARTletter. Sign up here for creativity delivered straight to your inbox.