Collage Easter Eggs with Paper Napkins

Collage Easter Eggs with Kids

We made some beautiful collage Easter eggs with the eggs we blew out the other day. Using paper napkins, if you can believe it.

The paper napkin decoupage idea is from Martha Stewart. Here’s her tutorial.

We were planning to use half the blown eggs for this idea (what I wanted to do) and the other half for the oil pastel resist and dye idea (what Maia wanted to do), but in the end Maia wanted to dye them all and asked why we couldn’t just combine the two ideas and glue the paper napkin shapes on top of the dyed eggs.

Well, of course we could. And did. I LOVE how they turned out!

Here’s what we did…

Collage Easter Eggs with Kids

Collage Easter Eggs with Paper Napkins

MATERIALS

• Eggs, either hard-boiled or hollow
  • Easter egg dye
  • Paper napkins with printed pictures and designs
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Paint brush

INSTRUCTIONS

Easter Egg Decorating with Kids 3

We decorated our blown Easter eggs first with oil pastel drawings (oil pastels glide on so smoothly and don’t require much pressure—important for fragile blown-out eggs). This step is optional, but something the kids wanted to do.

Easter Egg Decorating with Kids

We dyed the eggs with a store-bought kit.

Easter Egg Decorating Ideas Children

Then let the eggs dry before starting phase two of the project…

Collage Easter Eggs with Kids

For the next step, we all cut out flowers, butterflies, and random shapes from a set of pretty paper napkins I bought for the purpose.

Collage Easter Eggs with Kids

We used watered-down Elmer’s glue to paste the napkin images onto our dyed eggs.

Collage Easter Eggs with Paper Napkins

Here are some of my collaged eggs.

Collage Easter Eggs with Paper Napkins

And, um, some more of mine. I’m having a bad Mom moment. I just realized I only took close up photos of my own eggs and not any of Maia’s or Marlise’s.

Oops.

Have you tried decoupage Easter eggs? If not, give this paper napkin idea a try!

Update :: We used our collage Easter eggs to decorate our new Easter egg tree.

Pin It for Later ::

Decorating Easter Eggs with Paper Napkins Collage

Subscribe to The Artful Parent newsletter

Comments

So beautiful!
    I have a question about tecnique. Inside of the egg is empty and egg is not strong. While you use pastels, there were a risk to crash them. How to do it without any harm of the egg?
    One more question :) My daughter is 2 years old and how can I teach her to use scrissor? She would like to use it too much but she is not too much succesful to do.

2. Lisa F. says

beautiful! we colored blown out eggs when I was little, and then threaded yarn through the holes & hung them on a branch my mom painted and attached to a base.

Hey, glad to be here after long. Remember, I had vented out on your FB page some days back that my broadband service provider is having issues with all TypePad blogs? But, since we just moved house and got a new internet connection, the issue is resolved. Phew!
    This dye and decoupage project looks really nice and neat. Love the colours and the prints look so beautiful…
    I have been thinking of decorating blown out eggs for a while now. Time to lay our hands on a similar project!

these are gorgeous, and so different from most of the eggs i’ve seen. your bad mom moment made me laugh — at least you captured the kids making eggs so we know they were involved :)

5. jwg says

Beautiful! I like blown eggs because they never rot. And I bet the glue, even if it is diluted, makes them stronger. My favorite thing to dye them with is colored tissue, the stuff that bleeds. Dip the shells in water, or use a very wet brush, stick on bits of tissue, wait a few minutes and remove the tissue. This stains hands but that’s what baking soda is for. Some colors work better than others and that varies from brand to brans.

6. Mel says

Beautiful eggs! I also wanted to say that your blog is such a great resource. We have a couple of friends come over for a “preschool” and the 5-year olds had requested painting for our next get-together. We did a couple of your watercolor projects this morning (butterflies on coffee filters, gluing tissue paper on paper and finishing off with watercolors) and we had a wonderful time. Thank you!

The oil pastels don’t require much pressure to apply, so are fine. I think crayons might be more difficult because you do need to apply more pressure and risk cracking the eggs.

Oh, and for your 2 year old and scissors. Try offering strips of paper that you pre-cut and let her cut the strips into little pieces. Also, you can make long snakes out of playdough and let her cut those into pieces — actually a bit easier than paper so a good beginning cutting activity.

9. Alisha says

I’m sure you’ve heard something like this a million times, but it’s so cool that your daughters get to live in this magical world of creativity and art making. Having you as a mom would have been a dream when I was her age. Then again, it’s probably all she’s ever known, so doesn’t get how awesome it is. ;)

Darnit, I wish I would’ve seen this post before I posted my collaboration of ideas for decorating eggs! These are gorgeous! I’m sharing on FB! :)
    Jamie

So beautiful Jean!!
    Yet another reason why I wished we lived closer and could get together for artsy play dates!! You’re not a bad mama for photographing your own stuff, you were busy hosting crafty little people — it’s more important that they had fun making art than getting the final photos! : )
    Did you see our decoupaged napkin eggs today? I really like the way you mixed the napkins WITH the dyed eggs, we just wrapped ours in napkins.
    But…I am posting our tie-dye egg dyeing technique on Thursday!! : )
    xoxo
    pink and green mama,
    MaryLea

12. Kat_Shoshin says

My son saw this blog post and was happy to dye his eggs like these kids, but then was confused… where was his cloak? He was getting one to go easter egg hunting with, right?
    Long story short, he persisted and begged and didn’t forget – we went and bought very similar fabric in a moss green and now he will have one for Easter. I just wish we could have used re-purposed fabric I had lying around the house too!