(More!) spray painting fun

JeansPics_04-2011_Pic1246

Maia and our friend Nikhil had a chance to reapply the spray paint color to the canvas walls the other day.

JeansPics_04-2011_Pic1255

Here they are spraying in the same spot. I could say they were color mixing, but I think I may have overheard the words "kill the yellow." Ugh. But it was fun to see how they experimented and tried different ways of applying the spray paint.

JeansPics_04-2011_Pic1285

They sprayed really close to the canvas (even touching it with the nozzles) as well as getting farther away for more of a splatter effect. So far the spray paint was no longer reaching the canvas, in fact, but then they moved closer again….

JeansPics_04-2011_Pic1294

There was also some more drawing with sharpies. Daphne drew quite a bit, too, from my arms. I'm really loving these canvas panels! I'm wondering how you could use these yourselves this summer, but without rigging up the poles that we have. The canvas is just painters' drop cloths we bought at Home Depot. You could perhaps tie or drape one over a fence or nail it to the side of a house. Or spread it out on the ground. Or use it to make a teepee and then paint and draw on the teepee all summer. Or? Any other ideas? I think it has so much potential for outdoor art! And really, rigging up a couple of poles on the edge of a yard wouldn't be too hard.

Comments

What kind of spray bottles do you use/where did you get them? All the ones I have ever tried, leak more than they spray (as in, they drip down the kids’ arms too much), so I have given up (even from my favorite, DSS). You know I’m not adverse to messes, but in an indoor class situation, you need effective spray bottles to satisfy the kids and the parents.

2. Alea says

We’ve had snow showers every day this week and you have kids running around half naked already! Jealous! :-)

These were cheapies from the dollar store. One has broken already (perhaps the kids were a little rough with it), but otherwise they have worked great!

I’m sorry! Where do you live? I lived in Boston for a long time and remember lots of long winters and snow. I’m definitely enjoying the earlier springtime now that I’m in North Carolina.

I just love all of these ideas – what fun! I think I’ll try the hanging over the fence or on the ground method this summer.

So, bathing suits, then coats with hoods, now shirtless. I thought only the midwest enjoyed all 4 seasons in the same week! Love the photos!

I guess it could be tied up on a party tent sides. They sell them cheap here in garden shops. Instead of canvas you can recycle old white bed sheets you do not use anymore.

8. Erin says

I love the idea of using bed sheets, my kids would love to sleep in sheets they designed. I think we could rig them up between our own posts on the back fence.

My 3-year old begs me to make him a tent about 5 times a day. I’m thinking about using your idea to make him a “permanent” summer tent out on our patio. I already have some clothesline strung across the space, and there are fences on 3 sides–you’ve got me thinking. I want my kid to spend as much time outside as possible, and a tent may just be the way to do it!

10. Aneta says

That is one super fantastic creative art experience not only for kids, but also for grown ups :). I think we will be doing this as soon as gets warm here.Thank you for sharing this great idea.

I’m envious of your half-naked children back here in Massachusetts. We have seen the sun, but mostly it’s been 50 and grey around here. :(
    Planning to do this this summer with white sheets and retractable clotheslines from the house to the fence. It’ll be fun. Then they’ll go in the wash and be fresh canvases again for the next time.