The elsie marley kids’ clothes week challenge

RepurposedDress6

I think I'm going to have to participate in the elsie marley kids' clothes week challenge again! I got so excited about the idea today that I got out my fabric stash and instead of just thinking and planning, I ended up sewing this dress for Maia. And the challenge doesn't even start until next week!

I've been wanting to do some sewing and have a list of clothes I'd like to work on. Maia especially needs shorts and summer dresses. My plan is to use my existing fabrics only as well as to repurpose old clothes into fun, new ones (the dress above is made from two of my old knit shirts). I'm not sure I'm finished with it yet — I might tweak it a bit.

Last year I had a lot of fun involving Maia in making some of her clothes (here's my post about participating last year) but I'm not sure how much of that I'll do this time. I might just squeeze in some sewing of my own. We'll see… In the meantime I'm enjoying all the kids' clothes inspiration on elsie marley and the flickr pool.

How about you? Are any of you planning to participate?

Comments

I’m with you! Thanks for posting about this. I remember seeing it all over the place last year (and didn’t join in, sigh), but this year, seeing it here was a first. I have so many wonderful patterns and good intentions…this challenge may be exactly what I need to get going! Thanks, Jeanne! Good luck with yours!

Yes! Super, super cute dress. I love the floral and stripe combination. I participated last fall and I plan to participate again next week. I started to cut pattern pieces for a pair of pants today…now to actually sew them together!

Thanks for posting about this! I’m going to do the challenge as well this year with a focus on my oldest daughter who just went through a growth spurt and no longer can fit in children’s clothes (despite the fact that she’s still only in 4th grade). Should be a good challenge!

I signed up to do this too. I can’t believe it’s already here. Maybe this will be a push to get me sewing more, plus I do need a few things for the kids!

I love that I came across your FB and blog! I am an “art teacher” at home and volunteer at my children’s school! Thanks for your inspiration…

6. robin says

I went to her site and signed up, but i found it really confusing! does she have any easy tutorials up anywhere?

I don’t know your experience or if you have a girl, but if you do, the Lazy Days skirt by Oliver+S is super easy as well as super cute!

When you repurpose your shirts for Maia, do you wing it, creating from an idea, or do you follow a pattern/tutorial? I haven’t spread my wing-it wings yet, though I guess with a repurposed shirt, there isn’t much to lose. Being a perfectionist isn’t as conducive to creativity as one might like… ;)

9. chey says

Super cute dress! :) And what a great challenge. Thanks for posting about it. Looks like I missed it this year, but you’ve inspired me to try it next time. I have an ever-growing pile of stuff to repurpose. Also, here’s a tutorial that you might like for making a girls dress out of a man’s button down shirt: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.0