Giving My Children Wings

Roots and Wings Quote

I knew I had to make these wings the moment I saw the tutorial (found via Elsie Marley).

So instead of sewing more clothes, I devoted some of my precious kids’ clothes week challenge time to making something beautiful and fun but absolutely, completely frivolous.

I’m so glad I did!

The girls love them. I love them. They were super easy to make, too — a bit repetitive, but not too time consuming.

And how could I resist the idea of giving my children wings?!

DressUpBirdWings_07

DressUpBirdWings_11

DressUpBirdWings_10

DressUpBirdWings_12

DressUpBirdWings_18

DressUpBirdWings_20

Sewing Wings for Kids

“There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings.” – Hodding Carter, Jr.

Comments

My daughter would love these. I must get the art room cleaned up so I can try this. The kids look so happy. And your setting is gorgeous!

2. Eliza says

These are wonderful! I’ve gotta ask–where were these photos taken? The setting is gorgeous.

I saw the tutorial for these on Craft blog recently, and will eventually make some for CJ. Just not this week. :(

We took them at the Asheville botanical garden. It’s a beautiful place with a stream running through. We go there for wading, exploring, and rock throwing!

OH!!! Those are fabulous! So much better than the cheap coat hangar type we always ruin. My daughter would love these. And my son would, too. He was a peacock for Halloween last year, and I really messed up on the wings. I’ll have to try this one.

These are delightful! I have them on my pinterest board, too, and need to make them for my daughter someday. Yours are so lovely!

7. Megan says

These are great! The perfect “gentle” touch for the “Angry Birds” party my almost 4 year old wants in a few weeks.
    Are they heavy? Could you better explain how they attach on the neck? I didn’t really understand the tutorial, plu I am wondering if velcro would work or if something stretch to slip over the head would work.

amazing, jean! my daughter spotted this photo on my computer screen before i had a chance to (when i was opening windows from my daily rss feed) and said, “THOSE! I WANT THOSE WINGS!” i think i’m going to have to pretend i know how to use fabric… help!

Those are amazing! I wish I knew how to sew, my daughter would love these. I’m going to see if I can talk my mother-in-law to giving them a try.

They’re not heavy at all! I used lightweight cotton fabrics. I used velcro at the neck so that Maia and Daphne can both put them on and take them off themselves if they like (and just because it seems safer than tying something around a toddler’s neck.

In the tutorial, she says you can use fabric glue, too! So you can make them even if you don’t sew. The fabric glue I have is called Fabri-Tac and costs about $8 at the fabric store and at the art supply store. You could buy some fun fabrics (maybe get some fat quarters) and whip these up. Let me know if you try it with fabric glue. I’d love to hear how well it works!

These are so beautiful, Jean! I put these wings on my list as soon as I signed up for the challenge, but the past 2 days have been sidetracked into pattern failures! These might be just the remedy I need to save my week of sewing!

Oh my gosh – stunning. I loved these the first time I saw the project and am so glad to see that they were made – gives me inspiration to give it a try. Just beautiful and fun!

Really adorable and the pics of the girls pretending to fly wearing them are heart warming!
    What a relief to know they can be glued too. I will be much more comfortable that way than sewing… ;) I showed these pics to Pari and she immediately wanted to have one…

15. [email protected] says

I’m not much of a sewer, but I made a set of wings for my owl loving son for Halloween 2 years ago. I wish I had this tutorial then. I passed it along to my sister, who has a little girly girl and we can count on her to make them. She’s amazing with her sewing machine. It’s definitely her chosen art form. Love the picture of M flying in the air with her colorful wings. Thanks for sharing.
    Jena,

These look wonderful! I think I am going to have to whip up a pair for my daughter… she is really starting to get into dressing up… I reckon she will loooove them!

17. molly says

I think these would also be beautiful wall art clipped to a dowel rod when not in use for flight purposes. Thank you for sharing.

18. Kendra says

I hardly ever see things i know i just HAVE to make, but these are GREAT! I have a newborn and no time to sew, so I’m going to go the fabric glue route! They are so great!

Those are gorgeous! And while I haven’t been reading your blog too long, I’m pretty sure you’ve given your kids wings long before sewing them a pair.

Thanks Jean! Though I have to admit that I do wish for a girl when I’m sewing sometimes. I love the little dresses you made, too. I love dresses for myself, too, but they require a lot more yardage/expense/time.

Nope. I’m sure the fabric will fray eventually, especially if it needs to go in the wash. Hopefully they will be fully enjoyed before they fray. If you were worried about fraying, you could always do some sort of hem, but man, that might take a lot longer!

22. Shannon says

That’s it. I’m doing this. This is a beautiful idea… I love your blog!

I love the wings but most of all I love your spectacular photography. Your first photograph is just so wonderful it makes my heart sing! It really captures the essence. of childhood.

These wings are awesome. I’m going to make them for my niece’s birthday this weekend, but also for my own two boys, 6 and 3. They will LOVE them. I’ll have to ask them what they want to transform into… Black raven? Bald eagle? Then I’ll go with those colors. Thank you so much for inspiring me to do this project–so simple!

Hi Jean, I am cutting out the fabric for the wings today. I know you said you used Velcro around the neck and arms. How did you tie the wings together at the top? Are they sewn together or did you use a little ribbon between them? I looked at the instructions on Prudent Baby but didn’t find anything. Thanks for any help.

Georgine – I used elastic at the arms. And at the neck, I used a piece of extra-wide double fold bias tape that was long enough to go around the neck loosely and overlap at the front enough for some velcro. I sewed the bias tape closed so it was more like a ribbon (you could just use a ribbon) then sewed the top of each wing onto it with maybe an inch or so space in between. Then I sewed the velcro pieces onto each end of the bias tape. Does that make sense? If not, I can elaborate and/or send a pic (I’m pretty sure I took a close up of that part). -Jean

I think I get it. I cut the wings out and now I am worries they are not big enough! I think they will be fine. Thanks so much for getting back to me. Hope you have a good week!!!

I used knit fabric (from some old t-shirts). I love that I can machine wash them without worrying about the fabric fraying. They’re not too heavy.
    I’m off to make a brown (owl) pair for a boy’s birthday gift after spotting your blue wings.
    Thanks for the inspiration :-)