Our flower art box (and a cardboard box challenge)

BoxChallenge27

Ah, what fun can be had with a box! What beauty can be created with humble corrugated cardboard! We’ve had the pleasure of participating in TinkerLab’s cardboard box challenge (along with 20 or so other creative bloggers), and this is what we came up with: a flower petal art box. A flower fairy house. A 3-D stained glass viewer. A nature lamp shade. A shadow box. A firefly lamp? A ? Hmm. We’re in love with it but are not sure exactly what to call it. Perhaps you can help us name this project?

Here’s how we made this flower box as well as some simple flower petal stained glass windows:

BoxChallenge08

Step 1: I started with a simple cardboard box. It was relatively small so I taped the flaps up using packaging tape. Then, with an x-acto knife, I cut rectangles out of each side, leaving an inch or two cardboard “frame” around each opening.

BoxChallenge09

Step 2: Then I cut pieces of transparent contact paper to cover each of the framed openings. I applied the contact paper to the inside of box with the sticky side facing out.

BoxChallenge10b  BoxChallenge12b

By the way, no cardboard was wasted! The rectangles that I cut out from the box were turned into frames themselves (and contact paper attached) and the centers of those frames were used by Daphne for drawing as I finished the set up. While I did the prep that involved the sharp x-acto knife, the rest of the project was completed by the girls.

BoxChallenge17

Step 3: Maia, her friend Stella, and Daphne all collected flowers, leaves, and ferns from around the garden.

BoxChallenge26

Step 4: The flowers were dumped in the center of the kitchen table and everyone went to work attaching them to the sticky contact paper on the box and within the frames.

BoxChallenge19

Maia applied whole flowers, but found that they didn’t stick as well as individual petals.

BoxChallenge23

Stella used her scissors to cut flower petals and leaves into smaller pieces to apply to her framed triptych.

BoxChallenge20

Daphne added flower petals then took them back off, added them, took them back off…

BoxChallenge36

Step 5: Finally, we added another sheet of contact paper over the top of the flower petals and hung the flower suncatchers and box up to the windows to see the light shine through the colorful and translucent flower petals. Beautiful, eh?

We also looked at our flower box a couple of other ways.

BoxChallenge39

First we replaced a lamp shade with the flower box temporarily to see how it would look with a light source inside. Very cool! It would be fun to rig up something with wire to hold it in place over the lamp more permanently (we were using our hands). Or to use this to create shadows.

FlowerArtBox2

We also went outside and looked through the box up at the sun, to see how it would look with the light source on the outside. Also beautiful!

Flowerbox2

This was such a fun project to work on! It’s also rather ephemeral. (Although if you wanted to create a more permanent version, you could press and dry the flowers and leaves first.) Let me know if you try this!

FlowerArtBox3
Here the flower box is a house for Maia’s little horse figure.

Okay, now go check out what everyone else did with their cardboard boxes!

Comments

1. Rachelle @ tinkerlab says

WOW! Jean, you girls are SO creative. I love that you used the entire box, that there was a separate age-appropriate activity for Daphne (how thoughtful!), and that Maia’s dress looks like it took inspiration from the project. :) The colors are striking and it looks like so much fun. We will definitely do this one day this summer.Thanks for being part of this project, and for the ongoing inspiration!

2. MaryLea @ pink and green mama says

Jean this is great!! I would pick up one of those half dome “touch lights” at Walmart (I think you can use them in a closet or as a kid bedside light (just batteries, no cords) to light up your box!! : )
    Fabulous!
    xoxo
    MaryLea

3. Melissa @ the chocolate muffin tree says

This is SO AMAZING! You always have a great surprise up your sleeves! We just did a couple Contact Paper Nature Collages inspired by you!!! This box tops our idea!
    Thanks for your inspiration as always!!! I look back from a year ago and so many things I have done with my daughter were inspired by you!!! Thanks!!

4. Deborah says

This is awesome – I would love to make one like this to set out on our preschool playground! You always inspire me:)

5. jen at paintcutpaste.com says

wow! this is so lovely! i’m always inspired by your use of light with your suncatchers, and this brings that sort of glow into the night! i love how it matches the skirt you and maia made. amazing art, as always! xo & happy mothers’ day weekend to you, jean!

6. Shelley D says

So now you have to try this one:
    First you gather the flowers and ferns leaves (they work especially well). Attach individual FLATTENED petals or whole flowers and whole leaves with masking tape to a white or almost white t-shirt. Cover the entire flower/leaf with pieces of masking tape so none is exposed. Then you hammer the entire leaf/flower masking tape shape on a hard surface like your driveway. When you take the tape off, the flower will be history but a permanent implant is on the shirt. Certain flowers work better than others. AND the cool part, it should be permanent…at least the fern leaves are. We have t-shirts we did years ago that still have the fern leaves on them…really big ones. It’s so cool. Works on small pieces of fabric as wellthat we made into a banner. Sorry, I don’t have any pics. Try it!!!

7. alfarascha says

Such a great idea!I think this is the type of craft the kids will never forget. I will definitely try it with my kids! thank you!
    sarah

8. Catherine says

This is simply brilliant! I love the way it can be explored at anytime of the day in any light – just fab! Can’t wait to have a go at creating one soon – thank you.

9. Rashmie@MommyLabs says

Jean, this is absolutely gorgeous. One can see the joy on the kids’ faces…
    There’s so much for them here – connection with nature, observation, artful arrangement..
    You are an amazingly creative mamma…

10. Jillian says

What an impressive use of a box. I love that none of the cardboard went to waste. Contact paper is one of my favorite materials. I can’t wait to make our own flower box.

11. Ms. Maria says

How beautiful! I’m curious about how well the contact paper stuck to the box while the flowers were being applied. I imagine frustration happening if it came unstuck…?

12. Marlas says

What a GREAT project! I think I love your blog even more after this post…and I didn’t think that was possible ;)

13. Kate @ An Amazing Child says

Jean, this is beautiful. There are so many wonderful processes here. Just collecting the flowers would have been a wonderful afternoon outdoors and then to make this beautiful box, just perfect.

14. Marnee says

Beautiful this is delightful and definatley on my to do list…you are so clever. What lucky girls

15. Rachel says

Wow! This is really stunning and looks like it was an absolute blast to put together! Thanks so much for the how-to, I’ll be linking.

16. Pumpkinbear says

I LOVE the idea of the cardboard frames! I’ve been looking for a way to let the girls make contact paper art that allows for a more permanent display, and I think this idea is is!

17. Jocelyn says

This is such a great idea! I’ll have to try this with my girls. My 2 year old is obsessed with flowers right now, so it would be so much fun.

18. Dianna says

Absolutely awesometastic- my kids will adore doing this (as will I) and it will be a perfect way to spend a summer afternoon together that all can participate in, from the smallest to the tallest, Thank you so much for sharing such a creative and fun idea!