Shaving Cream Marbling and DIY Notebooks

MarbledPaperNotebooks4

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! I think mamas make the world go 'round in so many ways and, while it's not always easy, it's certainly rewarding. I am so grateful to my own mom and grandma for all they've done for me, and I feel incredibly honored to mother my own daughters.

This is what Maia and I made for Mother's Day gifts this year (for her Grandma and Great Grandma) — notebooks with marbled covers. For the step-by-step instructions on this easy project (and lots of photos for you visual learners), see my column in this month's WNC Parent. You'll have to click on the cover of the magazine, then scroll through to find page 26 (You used to be able to search by page number, but I didn't see that as an option this time.).

Have you tried shaving cream marbling? It's one of our all-time favorites! We've done it many times on paper, cardstock, and even eggs using liquid watercolors, tempera, acrylics, and BioColor. I highly recommend trying it, whether or not you use the finished product to make these notebooks.

Comments

We love shaving cream marbling, it’s a favorite here for sure! I love how soft it makes the paper feel afterwards.
    We’ve only used food coloring so far, we’ll have to try the others you mentioned.
    Great idea making notebooks, I’ll have to do this for my Grandpa who carries a little memo pad with him wherever he goes :)

2. Amy says

We have tried a marbling project and it was so much fun, but the shaving cream I used was way too strongly scented. Our laundry room/art studio smelled like shaving cream for days! I would love to try it again, but I just can’t take the smell. Do you have any recommendations of brands of shaving creams that are less scented?

3. Tiffany says

I always stuggled with this issue too, then discovered Sauve shaving cream for women…it says it has oatmeal/coconut scent. It is extemely mild and pleasant and easier to find than unscented at my grocery store. It has been a huge improvement.

5. allison says

Love the idea of sewing the spine of a homemade book. Also, we had tried using oil and food coloring for marbled paper,and while the designs were beautiful, the paper was oily. Will definitely try the shaving cream! THANKS!!!
    Also, I had no issue accessing the article.

6. Roxanne says

I can click on the magazine and find the right page but when I click to read the page it won’t open. :(

7. Tiffany says

Hello, Jean.
    I do not know why this link did not work yesterday. However, I revisited it today, as I am interested in your article on marbling, and it worked. Thank you for your posts and links.
    -Tiffany