Fabric postcards for novelty mail

FabricPostcards_JV_6

“How many butterflies did you catch?”

Maia and I made these fabric postcards the other day, inspired by some I saw hanging up at our local fabric shop.

I was surprised to find that it was okay to send these through the mail (since they are not only fabric but also thicker than the average postcard) but it is. The ones displayed at the fabric shop had even come from Australia and other far-away places through a postcard swap.

Fun!

FabricPostcards_JV_1

Maia picked out the fabrics from my stash, decided on the fabric combinations, then sat on my lap while we sewed them together on the machine. The fern print is left over from when Maia and I did some leaf printing on fabric last year (she still wears that skirt!). And the ducklings are oldies from my love affair with freezer paper stencilling.

For the writing side, we just used a plain white cotton. And between the two fabric layers we sewed a firm fusible pellon as the stabilizer (Peltex 72F Double-Sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer) that I had left from making the art satchel.

FabricPostcards_JV_4

Once our postcards were ready, we drew a line down the center of the plain white side, added our note to the left and an address to the right with sharpies.

If you decide to make some of these, please note that you can’t use a regular postcard stamp. We took ours to the post office, partly because I didn’t know what the postage would be and also just because I wanted to make sure they were really okay to mail. The postal clerk didn’t bat an eye though—just slapped a stamp on (wish I remembered which one) and dropped them in with the rest of the mail.

Comments

1. Stacy says

Sweet.
    I’m a little nervous about the stamp staying stuck to the fabric, no problem?
    I found a blog once where someone mailed all sorts of things like matchboxes, frisbees and sneakers. It’s amazing what the post office will allow.
    Of course, I’ve lost the link to the site.
    Do you know about it?

LOVE this. What fun. Hopefully the USPS won’t go totally out of business because there is something so magical about getting a piece of mail in the mailbox. (I was seeing the headlines this morning about post office closures.) There is also a great book called Mailing May by Michael O. Tunnell and Ted Rand about sending a little girl in the mail. The kids loved it when we had it from the library, the idea of being mailed really tickled them.

What beautiful postcards, and a very fun way to use up odds and ends of fabric! I’m always looking for creative ideas that can let me make good use of bits and pieces left over from other sewing projects. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wow I really wouldn’t have thought that they would allow that, what a cool idea I wonder what I can threaten my post office with.

5. Sara McClelland says

I love this idea! A great way to use up fabrics in odd sizes, and I love sending things in the mail. :D Thanks for sharing!!!!

6. Krista says

My friend and I in junior high once sent a pre-packaged cheese slice through the mail just to see if it would go. It worked!

7. Holly says

These would be wonderful to send to a home for seniors :) I love this postcard idea!!!

8. Jess A says

Once made a postcard out of a sheet of copper so I know firsthand the USPS will mail pretty much anything with enough postage!

Love this idea! I have been toying with the idea of sewing felt letters, but this is a much more versatile project! Love the idea of using fabric markers for writing on the cards. Amazing that you can actually send them. I can’t wait to try it out.

10. Laurie says

I can’t quite tell from the photos, but did you stitch them right sides together and turn them, or just sew them in a “sandwich” and leave the raw edges? Thanks!

Oh, how fun! My daughter is REALLY into playing post office right now. Her birthday is coming up soon and this could be a very fun prop to add to her play! Thanks again for another great idea.
    I also believe nature and nurture! It is a tough one. I, like you, do the things I do to help that flame catch fire.

I worked as a postie (postal deliverer in Australia) and the truth is, it’s SUCH a boring job that something different in the mail is very exciting! I agree about it being a good idea fro Christmas too.

What a fun idea! And yes you can mail a ball too! I use sendaball.com they are awesome to send/receive. Does anyone remember how much it costs to send these fabric postcards since a lot of you seem to be trying it? Thanks