A scavenger hunt (and make)

ScavengerHunt_JV_1

I've been doing a lot of scavenger hunts lately with Maia. But instead of just asking her to find things, I'm also asking her to make things. This is partly to add a new more interactive dimension to the activity and partly, um, just to keep her occupied a tad longer. Back when we were doing that color scavenger hunt she was finished with each color in about two minutes flat. But with the "make" aspect added in, these scavenger hunts have been taking much longer.

ScavengerHunt_JV_4

Here's one that I wrote up for Maia on the fly. As she found or did each item on the list, she brought them to me at the table (except the Daphne hug, of course, which I added at the end just for fun).

ScavengerHunt_JV_2

Here's a lego storefront (she decided to use the big toddler legos–or whatever they're called–and make a store instead of a house), a playdough porcupine, a pinecone, and cookie cutters.

ScavengerHunt_JV_5

And her traced feet.

ScavengerHunt_JV_7

We've repeated this activity a few times at her request. For one of the "hunt and makes," she drew the castle above and wrote the alphabet.

I think I'll sit down and write up a few of these hunt and makes to keep on hand…

Comments

What a great idea! I love how it allows for creativity on Maia’s part. Those traced feet are just so cute!
    I’ll have to remember this for when my daughter is big enough.

We often have treasure hunts or scavenger hunts here. I love how this would slow the activity down, and put a creative spin on it!

Love it. (I think I write that every time.) What a great way to keep the kiddos occupied. And, her porcupine is amazingly cute.

Fantastic Idea Jean! I am going to share this with my clients (and my hubby who is a stay at home dad!). Thanks for sharing another great idea!

5. Jenny says

I love the idea of making some of the items! My husband actually came up with another idea that we’ve been using where my kids have to take a picture of the items instead of collecting them. We try to make it tricky (for a 5 year old) with items like 3 elbows, a reflection, 4 blue triangles together, etc. We have been doing scavenger hunts like crazy the last week so I am excited to add another new idea to the mix. Thanks!!

6. Julikay2u says

I’ve been doing some scavenger hunts with my boys as well, but we’ve been doing it with an old digital camera. Only my older son reads, so he’s in charge of telling his younger brother what’s on the list. Each boy is required to take a picture of what’s on the list (usually some sort of outdoor nature item.) I also include one open-ended item where I ask them to artistically consider what they’re going to include in their shot (for example: take a picture of the most beautiful flower in our yard). I can manage to get an average of 30 minutes time to zip through some task… although they get so excited with the pictures they’re taking, they usually have to come show me before the hunt is complete!

7. andrea says

what a fantastic idea! thank you! please keep sharing this kinda of stuff!!!! this seems like a great idea to occupy kiddos during meal prep, or while mama showers, or… well, you get the idea!

8. Laura says

Awesome idea to integrate activities. I’m going to include some of your ideas in my daughter’s next hunt. She, also age 6, loves to do scavenger hunts. To increase the challenge for her, I often put open-ended items on her list such as ‘something soft’ or to increase it further, list two characteristics to find such as ‘something smooth and yellow.’ Other recent items to find were ‘a stick longer than your hand’ and ‘a set of a dozen.’

We recently got my neice a little tikes digital camera I think this is the perfect idea to get her out and about trying it in a fun way. What I love about your idea is the possibilities for her to interperet the list. For example I might have flower on the list and instead of heading for the garden she might go take a photo of flour in the kitchen or of a the flowery pattern on her dress.
    It must also be most enjoyable seeing your boys work together as a team. Thanks for the hot tip!

I just love the way Maia used her creativity to finish the hunt. The “make” aspect added another level of challenge that allowed her to use her mental capabilities, which is actually good for growing kids like your sweet Maia. It’s a great idea for a scavenger hunt :)