Autumn Leaf Rocks :: A Fun and Easy Fall Craft

Autumn Leaf Rocks A Fun and Easy Fall Craft

Look at these lovely fall beauties! What we have here are tiny autumn leaves mod modged to small rocks. Very simple, attractive, and quite seasonal.

Am I getting carried away with seasonal crafting? Perhaps. Will I get back to developmentally-appropriate, process-oriented kids' art soon? Yes, the answer is yes! And the answer is also, please bear with me, because I am enjoying this fall crafting binge like crazy and it's a wonderful release after working so hard on the book.

Sooo…

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Gather your materials: small rocks, washed (the smoother and flatter, the better), Mod Podge, a small paint brush, small autumn leaves (I pressed and dried mine first — not sure if it's necessary though — let me know if you try it without drying them first), and something to protect your work surface.

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Step 1: Brush a layer of Mod Podge over the flattest part of your rock.

Step 2: Position leaf over wet Mod Podge.

Step 3: Brush another layer of Mod Podge over leaf.

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Step 4: Continue with as many rocks and leaves as desired.

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Step 5: Let dry.

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Step 6: Pile in a pretty basket and admire.

Autumn Leaf Rocks

Or, spread out and arrange as desired.

If you liked these autumn leaf rocks, then you might like the other autumn and halloween crafts, recipes, and decorations in my ebook:

Craft Yourself a Creative Autumn Banner Ad

Comments

Isn’t Mod Podge great? I even like the smell. :-) My daughter and I just Mod Podged leaves and then stuck them to the window with double-sided tape. I was inspired by your contact paper & leaf window decorations, but I struggle with big sheets of contact paper!

Gorgeoous, and I bet if you combined this idea with your metallic sharpie/autumn leaf idea, the results would be spectacular as well (with designs on the leaves and/or rock surface…but not getting too carried away). Just a thought as I vicariously enjoy your crafting binge.

Yes! Mod Podge is up there with hot glue guns on my list of fave craft supplies. I Mod Podged some leaves, too, but haven’t decided what to do with them yet.

Your stones looks so beautiful. I have to try them.
    We found some kitchen doors being sold in Ikea for $2 each. They look like a wooden canvas with a frame.I grabbed it for a project like this with Modge Podge. Love the name and the material. But, do you know if we could use simple water and glue also?
    Do take a look please at what my kids did with the stones in our yard at my blog.

5. Dena says

I don’t have any falls leaves yet to collect in FL, but there will be a few at some point and I am definitely going to do this. Very peaceful! Thanks!

I have never heard of Modge Podge (I know, I live in a bubble.) I am an artistically challenged parent, who loves trying out crafts with the kids. The kids’ work always turns out better than mine. This craft looks doable even for me. What a great way to preserve the fall, and it looks like fun for all ages. I may post this one to my blog.
    Thanks!

No. If I were to do it with her, I’d probably use watered-down school glue rather than Mod Podge. The Mod Podge bottle says it’s nontoxic but it’s pretty stinky. I keep the space well ventilated when I use it and I don’t use it with Daphne who would get it all over her hands/skin.

8. Kat says

I’m vacationing right now in San Diego (from Texas, where we have no beautiful “fall colored” leaves) and actually packed Mod Podge in my suitcase! Found a beautiful “rainbow” leaf outside where we are staying, and I think we will try doing this with it! :)