Valentine Suncatcher Craft with Colored Notebook Dividers

Valentine Suncatcher CraftDo you remember how impressed I was with the Kiwi Crate we received last December—especially the suncatcher activity in it? I've been meaning to buy some colored film ever since, but haven't, partly because I don't know where to find it (anyone?) and partly out of sheer laziness. However! When I came across this post about learning with light at Still Parenting (via Pinterest of course), I was thrilled at the colored shapes she made for her light table from cheap notebook dividers. Thrilled because one of these days I will surely make us our own light table (I've only been saying that for the last three years). And thrilled because the solution to my colored film search was presented to me on a platter.

Colorful, yet sheer, notebook dividers!

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

Arianne (from Still Parenting) says she bought hers at Kmart; I found mine at the dollar store. They both cost 2 bucks per packet.

We took our scissors to our dividers, cutting them into small pieces for our suncatchers.

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

I cut long skinny strips for Daphne to work with (easier for her to cut into pieces).

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

And Maia put herself in charge of cutting out all the hearts.

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

We taped down our transparent contact paper and stuck our lovely bits of colored film to it.

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

After we finished and attached the second sheet of contact paper, I gave the suncatchers masking tape frames and hung them in the window.

Valentine Suncatcher Craft

I love them! And I love that I now know about a cheap, local source for colored film!

Comments

1. Eliza says

what an awesome (and frugal) way of making a sun catcher! love it! we are all about the coffee filters here, but this is definitely something we will try. thanks for the inspiration !

such a great idea to use dividers…perfect for our overhead projector projects…off to the office supply store for us!

3. Barbara says

I love how the kids were involved in the project from start to finish, from cutting the film into pieces to designing their own masterpiece. The results are stunning in the window. Another one I’ll have to try with my kiddos. Thanks!!

4. Dena says

I love the concentration on Daphne’s face, so cute………..just went to the dollar store this morning, but guess I will be going back so I can do this project with Naomi, thanks as always!

5. Jennifer says

Love how focused they are and what a sweet result. Have you found any contact paper that is PVC-free? It’s so useful and I love the suncatcher idea, but I keep worrying about the chemicals… both to produce it and with my young daughter handling it. Can’t find any leads though.

Jennifer, I haven’t looked for alternative’s to contact paper. Please let me know if you come across any! As it is, I’m not too concerned about my kids handling it the amount that they do. They don’t touch it much or for long. And it’s such a fun, versatile art material. I guess I worry more about other things.

7. Lisa says

If you’re still looking for something close to colored film, have you thought about lighting gels? You even may be able to get decent size scraps from a local/school theatre.