(Beautiful!) Stained Glass Bunting

Stained Glass Bunting

I LOVE coming up with creative new ways to expand on or combine our tried-and-true favorite art activities.

Like this stained glass bunting.

We've made all kinds of buntings and banners for parties and just-for-fun decorations. And you know how often we do stained glass and suncatcher-type art activities. So when I thought about combining the two I got a tingle down my spine.

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

This is YET ANOTHER melted crayon project. Yes, we've been doing quite a few lately. I can't apologize. They're a lot of fun.

This is one you've probably done yourself, either as a kid or with your own kids. It involves melting crayon shavings in between layers of wax paper.

First we grated our crayons on the cheese grater…

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

…and put the shavings into separate compartments of a divided container (this plastic one held ravioli at one time and was rescued from the recycle bin; a muffin tin or small bowls would work just as well).

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

Then Maia arranged crayon shavings on half of a folded over piece of wax paper. She folded the other half over the shavings, brought the "sandwich" to me, and I ironed it between two layers of paper (to keep the wax from getting everywhere).

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

This process was repeated at least a dozen times, with all kinds of color combinations. Maia was very enthusiastic.

(By the way, we've done these wax paper and crayon melts before. I've posted about them here, here, and here.)

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

Once the wax melts were cool, Maia claimed half for an idea she had (I will post pics soon) and I cut the other half into triangles for the stained glass bunting.

I sewed my triangles together, but if you don't have a sewing machine you could either use a hot glue gun and ribbon or you could fold a piece of masking tape along the top to create the bunting.

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

We hung our new bunting in the living room window. It was lovely there.

Stained Glass Bunting Decorations

But I really wanted to try it outside, so I soon moved it to the porch. It's beautiful even when the sun isn't hitting it.

JeansPics_06-2012_Pic0812

But when the sun shines through the bunting, it's glorious!

JeansPics_06-2012_Pic0817

I love color and light.

JeansPics_06-2012_Pic0815

Love, love, love.

If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments, share the post with your friends, or subscribe to receive blog updates through e-mail or your reader. Thank you!

Comments

Beautiful! At first glance I thought it was fabric – I wonder how this could be done with crayon shavings and fabric, I bet there is a way. Maybe it is time for us to go and do some experimenting! :)

2. T. Beard says

What a beautiful idea! We are redoing part of our yard this fall and I look forward to including this idea to celebrate our new space.

3. Dena says

Hi Jean,
    Yes, this is beautiful, and yey, flag bunting that I can actually make!
    Thanks!

It is so fantastic the way you are constantly inventing new ways to apply your favourite art activities. And the results are always so lovely. We will definitely try this one out when the weather clears in Sydney. Your garden looks so sunny at the moment but ours is full of muddy puddles and soggy leaves.

Soooo beautiful!!! I’m definitely trying this with my daughter. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

6. Jerilyn says

We did this today – very fun! I just need to sew them together now, but I’m realizing that the tops of my triangles have a lot of wax – do you think this will be a problem with the sewing machine?

7. Pia says

Hi Jean
    I just tried this but the wax crayon flakes off the wax paper once it has been ironed and then cooled down… any hints? Not sure what else to try???
    It does look beautiful but not sure if when I manipulate it to sew a bunting it will just all fall off?!

Hmm… I’ve never had that happen, Pia — and we’ve done this project a LOT (not the bunting part, but the melted crayon shavings). What kind of crayons did you use? And did you melt the crayon between TWO sheets of wax paper? And until it was melty/liquid?

9. Sarah says

i really like this! i was pinning it to pinterest and realized i have those bird counting prints that you have on the wall. i used to have them in the nursery. how funny!

I just tried grating crayon and holy static cling batman. :( It stuck inside the grater, to the paper underneath, to my fingers… is that normal? Or is it just perhaps a staticky time of season?

11. Rachael says

Words cannot describe! We have 1 week left of our summer school holidays (Australia). What a perfect way to squeeze the last few drops of fun and special out of them before its all back to routine and busyness! I love bunting, and am really excited by this degree of beautiful colour! Can’t wait to try it!

12. Katgirldu says

I just did this with 2 toddler classes I work with. THEY LOOK AWESOME hanging in front of the windows….each child contributed one flag to the piece, and they are all so proud. Can’t wait to do more! The static cling was definitely a problem for me too, I had to spray the grater with static guard after grating to release the crayon shavings!

This is GORGEOUS!! What a great twist on a common idea. LOVE it!! Pinning and sharing on my blog Facebook page. Ms. Barbara from For the Children

14. Rhi j says

Love this! Doing it tomorrow with a grade 7 class! Fingers crossed it goes all well.

15. priya says

absolutely fabulous!
    cant wait to try it with my 3 year old. thanx jean:D
    i guess to avoid the crayons from sticking to the grater, one could freeze them for a while before grating!

16. Nancy says

Doesn’t the wax fall/lift off the wax paper on movement ?? They look great!! but….. ??

Jean, I am just head over heels happy to have all of these incredibly creative resources all at my finger tips, thanks to you! There are SOO many projects here that I have thought to create some of the very same things before as well. I just love it here! It’s like a playground! I have been liking blogs here there and everywhere for their creative kids crafts but I love finding those few that I am confident I can count on as a One Sttop Shop so to speak, for all our families children and their activity needs! JUST A HUGE THANKS from us up here in Canada to you for offering all of your experience, for free as well. That makes it all the better for our single parent family :D Look forward to seeing what comes next and sharing our results linking you, for my future posts.