In Progress :: A New & Improved Arts and Crafts Directory

Artful Science Experiments Kids Can Do at Home Suncatchers and Stained Glass Ideas for Kids

I'm working on a new and improved arts and crafts directory for The Artful Parent. This is a project that has been on the back burner for almost three years now (since Daphne was born!) and it feels good to start in on it. I had childcare yesterday morning so I was able to really dig into it, but that doesn't mean that it's almost done.

I've written over 1,000 posts in the past four and a half years, so there's a lot to consider! I won't be putting everything in the directory, though, so don't worry. I'm including some key posts in each category (storing and displaying art, art spaces, children's art group, etc) as well as creating a visual archive for the arts and crafts projects.

I would love it if you would take a look at the directory and give me any feedback, good or bad, that you might have. If something's not quite working for you or you feel something should be added, I'd rather know now than when I'm finished! (Note: There's also a link to the directory—Arts & Crafts Archive—in the navigation bar above.)

I have a ways to go on the visual archive, but have two sections finished so far:

Here's my question for you: Do you feel having clickable images is important for the arts and crafts directory? The stained glass page DOES have clickable images but the science activities page does not. Which works better for you?

Linking up all the individual images to the related posts is a lot of work. But if you feel it's helpful, then I will definitely do it. I want to make it as easy as possible for you to find the activities you are looking for. I think people are used to clicking on images, right? And maybe not everyone wants to read the text?

Anyway, please let me know about the clickable images and any other feedback you might have! Thanks so much!

Comments

Hi, Jean. An index in either form will be so valuable! The clickable pictures are more intuitive to navigate and might win over more new readers. Given that I already regularly read your site, I will use the index in either format. Good luck! -Amy

I meant to tell you yesterday, I think it looks great. It will be helpful for me because I can never remember when things happened but having the “what” to search or pictures will make it easier to find things. I think if you can make the images clickable it would be great, I realize that is more work though! :)

I would also agree with, Amy. Whatever you decide I will use, but I would love the idea of picture format more–it just seems easier to visually sift through than to just read it.
    Sarah M

Clickable images are far easier for me. Its one of the reasons that I love Pinterst so much. But if you go with non-clickable images, I do like that you only have 3 activities listed at a time so I can match up the non-clickable image to the link more easily. Its always confusing for me when there is a montage of more than six and then the links are listed below.

Love this idea…but then like the others I visit often and would use your site anyway. But the clickable picture idea sounds like a winner. Thanks for sharing all your projects they are so much fun.

6. Renee says

I think having the index is great either way. Very helpful. You have a great site, and I want to thank you for all that you do, and your blog.

7. Dena says

Hi Jean,
    I too like clickable images, that said, I love your website and am so grateful for it and how much you put into it. Having a directory of past arts and crafts is extra helpful as I have been going back to 2008 to look for ideas for Naomi since she is younger than Maia.
    You mentioned in your last post about Netflix and was wondering what they have been watching. I limit TV for Naomi and like that I can pick out what she watches. I have a hard time with it too because she seems to want to watch it when I am busy and can’t play with her. I do wish she was better at finding something to play and playing on her own. Oh the woes.
    Dena

I absolutely love your blogs and totally agree with tansydolls.blogspot.com when she said that “I do like that you only have 3 activities listed at a time so I can match up the non-clickable image to the link more easily. Its always confusing for me when there is a montage of more than six and then the links are listed below.” I dont think that the clickable images are a necessary feature as long as you keep it easy to match up with the beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas, I will keep reading no matter what you choose :)
    (BTW I would LOVE to see one with help on how to transform a closet into a craft “room” :) if at all possible…this is something I’ve been struggling with for some time) Thanks so much again and it looks great!

Okay!! Clickable images it is. Thanks, everyone! And if you have any more feedback about the directory, please let me know. I’d love to hear!!

Same age as Daphne, then!
    We like Caillou and Kipper for that age — for options on Netflix. Also Curious George. Little Bear if it’s on there. I forget.
    We also own a few that we like: Harold and the Purple Crayon, Max & Ruby, Classical Baby (Music, Dance, Art), and Here Come the Giants 123s and ABCs.
    And we get a few DVDs at the library sometimes: Little Bear, Koala Brothers, and Charlie and Lola

11. Dena says

Thanks, what a great list, I will check some out. She likes Curious George and Sesame Street, but Sesame Street is an hour which I think is too long and it ends up being an ordeal turning it off. We love Harold and the purple crayon, I will have to get the DVD’s!