Typing Away…

kids typewriter

We’ve had a resurgence of interest in the typewriter since school has let out. Even Daphne has joined in to bang away at the keys.

I had put it away for several months, but brought it out and set it up again on Maia’s homework desk with a fresh ribbon. Now I hear the girls click clacking away on it at least once a day.

It’s still as much gibberish as anything else, but I’m trying something new to see if I can elicit something more (for more low-key, summertime writing practice). I just typed a question at the top of the page when the kids weren’t around and am hoping that Maia will answer it the next time she sits down to type. Perhaps we can go back and forth a bit…

JeansPics_06-2012_Pic0595

By the way, this is the sign currently taped to Maia’s door: “No crying toddlers allowed.” She’s usually great about including Daphne in her play, even when she has a friend over, but I guess she got fed up with Daphne’s crying at one point.

Too bad Daphne can’t read the sign. :)

Unrelated: I just realized that my vertical photos show up horizontally on my iPad. Ack! I never realized that until now and am feeling embarrassed about it. Do my photos show up oriented the wrong way on your computers (other than iPads)? I’m not sure if this is a Typepad issue or my own photo processing or what, but I will probably try to stick to horizontal photos until I get it figured out. (And if you have any tips for me, please share!)

If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments, share the post with your friends, or subscribe to receive blog updates through e-mail or your reader. Thank you!

Comments

1. erica says

i just bought 2 old typewriters – kids have loved picking away on them (even w/o ribbon!) do you order your ribbon? i haven’t had luck finding any…thanks!

Your pictures look find in my reader and when I go to your page I am on a PC and fine on my Samsung phone. Must be the Apple products that has the problem…I didn’t think they ever had problems. ;-) All kidding aside, I love you blog and I like to see all your ideas. Gotta love that sign too! I wish sometimes I could put that sign up.

Wonderful! I love typewriters! I may need to keep my eyes open for one at a yard sale. I used one up until I was in high school because we couldn’t afford a computer. I love the idea of typing in a question at the top of the paper! ~Robin

They show up sideways on my iPhone, but only recently. I don’t know how to fix that problem… But I don’t mind, it doesn’t bother me!

Yes, they do show up sideways on my iphone, but they are fine on my comptuer. Except, when I tried posting one of your pics onto pinterest (from my comptuer) – it posted sideways onto pinterest. Love your ideas! I just found your site recently and have already tried a couple of projects! Thanks for sharing! I’ll still read your posts, even if the pics are sideways, but hopefully you can get it figured out!

I found the ribbon for ours at Staples. I guess it depends what kind of ribbon you need and whether it’s still available. You could always to a search online…

I’m glad it doesn’t bother you! Someone else said (in an e-mail) that she thought it was a design decision on my part. Maybe I should have just let you all think that! :)

Photos are fine in google chrome on computer but yes, do post sideways in pintrest (I tested it for you).

9. andrea says

some of my pins from your blog show up sideways in pinterest. and i’m a PC user.