Imagination…

Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge -Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

What does this quote mean to you? Please share… I'd love to hear your interpretations and whether you agree with Einstein or not.

(Note: I'm skipping the blog updates this week. And you may have noticed that I haven't been posting every day. I'm working on a big project and feel the need to hunker down and finish it. More details next week…)

Comments

I love this quote. To me it means knowing how to think outside the box to solve problems is more important than memorization. If you can think for yourself, the knowledge will come through experimentation and imagination.

2. Amy Osborn says

This is a great quote. My children will tell you that imagination is what I always told them they needed,

This is absolutely true for me and the way I see the world. No matter what age, where or who you are, the positive change you can bring through ideas sparked by a healthy imagination are what have brought humans so far. That imagination needs nurturing as much as any other part or you and the things you produce as far as art or literature are concerned are the food for other people’s imagination.

4. rachel says

i love this quote and it has informed my parenting as soon as i discovered it. instead of looking for opportunities to teach my little children about the world (ie. filling their little minds with information), i now try to give them space (mentally, emotionally, physically) to discover it on their own.
    there is certainly that special moment when information is definitely what they are craving and needing- especially as they get older- but in general, little children need us to allow them to imagine zooming off to Planet Zoobaba or riding a dragon to the pool or to imagine all the real and imaginary creatures they might meet while climbing over tree roots.
    i remember a moment with my oldest son when he was desperately wanting to cross a small pond to a small island. we had no boat and there was no bridge. he quickly began gathering sticks to build his own bridge. obviously, he couldn’t possibly find enough sticks for such an endeavor, much less have the energy to follow through. and sure enough, he lost energy after a few minutes. but there were those few minutes when he was on it! he knew he wanted to cross the pond and he was so determined and confident that he could.
    at 7, he loves to build, fix, and invent things. he gets (sometimes crazy) ideas (visable with this faraway, imaginative look on his face) and marches towards the art cabinet or the workshop out back and begins taping or hammering away. he is so confident that he can construct whatever he wants… i so love this about him! i love imagining what problems he’ll solve as an adult… large or small- i pray he’ll rise to the occasion like he does now!

5. Annie says

Albert Einstein was Dyslexic and my 11 year old son is Dyslexic although gifted. My son struggles so much with learning yet when I read this quote from a brilliant man I know one day my son can over come his learning difference to do great things with his right brain way of thinking and processing. Maybe that’s why Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge! He had to find innovative ways of doing things in order to process life in the only way he knew how.

6. eleasha says

I needed a quote for the wall in our homeschool room, this will be it! Even my toughest critics admire the imagination of my boys.