Christmas in October

JeansPhotos_10-12_0601

It's Christmas in our house.

You know how we all grumble that the stores start selling Christmas decorations earlier and earlier each year? Well, it's kinda like that in my house. It's not even Halloween yet and we've been making gingerbread houses, paper chains, and Christmas tree ornaments.

Totally crazy, right?

JeansPhotos_10-12_0827

I haven't heard any grumbles from household members though. Harry just looks at it all in amusement, but Maia and Daphne (and the other kiddos who visit) are loving all the Christmas-y creating and decorating.

JeansPhotos_10-12_0751

I'm in the final throes of the first draft of my winter crafts ebook, the second in The Artful Year ebook series. Which is why my house looks like Christmas in October (with some New Year's and Valentine's Day decorations thrown in for good measure) and which is why you haven't heard from me in a few days.

JeansPhotos_10-12_1314

Creating these ebooks is time intensive and so much work but it's work that I LOVE. Really, really love.

Coming up with ideas, testing them, discarding some and refining others, creating with the wonderful help of my kiddos and their friends, taking photographs, and putting it all into a visually pleasing and informational book form—I love it all.

JeansPhotos_10-12_0895

I'm trying to get this first draft finished this weekend and these last few days are especially intensive as I try to get it all done. (It's funny how self-imposed deadlines seem to carry just as much weight as external ones.)

JeansPhotos_10-12_0765

In a few days we'll put away all the Christmas and New Year's decorations for a while so we can focus on Halloween costumes, pumpkin carving, and trick-or-treating.

But for now, Christmas is in full swing here.

(If you've sent me an e-mail or left a comment in the last few days, I will try to respond soon…)

Comments

1. kara says

So glad I’m not the only one jumping a bit ahead and mixing in a little christmas into autumn. Spacing out gift making so it will all be fun and done.

I love your autumn book! I am sure this one will be equally lovely! I can tell they are a lot of work! Thanks for all of your efforts :)

3. katie says

Peppermint or gingerbread scented play doh just came to mind… ps in our part of pa trick or treating was last night. As soon as we were done my 3 year old asked ” is tomorrow christmas?” She was disappoknted to hear that thanksgiving is still yet to come
    AnywayCrazy they change the day to the friday before real halloween but it works out well b.c of this frankenstorm thats headed our way!

I bought the autumn edition earlier in the week and i really love it!
    (we’ve already made the apple pies, and i’m planning to make the scones tomorrow.)
    I’m really looking forward to the winter edition. :)

“You know how we all grumble that the stores start selling Christmas decorations earlier and earlier each year? Well, it’s kinda like that in my house. It’s not even Halloween yet and we’ve been making gingerbread houses, paper chains, and Christmas tree ornaments.
    Totally crazy, right?”
    If that’s crazy, I really don’t want to be sane. :) Yesterday, I finished off a tree decoration that’s been on my “Must finish” list for about six months and my Mum and I are working on a snowman wall decoration today. And an hour ago I was burning our soundtrack for the Christmas Cake making this afternoon. (Another great Christmas tradition, every year we swear we won’t lose the CD, every year we lose it anyway and every year I have to burn a new one.)
    I have a real urge to start making paper chains now. I haven’t made those for years and years. :)

How exciting Jean! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for the Winter ebook. I know it seems bizarre when stores are stocking Christmas goods already, but can I tell you, as a family we try to draw Christmas out for as long as humanly possible. Now that I have three little ones on my side, I can finally out-vote my husband and we start listening to Christmas carols on the 1st of November and thinking about all the other magical things the season involves!
    H xo