Daphne’s New Wood Kitchen (A Love Affair)

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 31

Daphne has a new wood play kitchen that she cooks at every day, multiple times a day. She loves her little kitchen and feels sorry for me that I don't have one just like hers, but my size. She asks if we should get one for me, too. Don't I want one?

And when I tell her that I can cook just fine in the kitchen I have, she looks at me with gentle pity in her eyes. She knows she has the better deal.

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 26

We had been wanting a wood kitchen for a while as Daphne gravitated to the kids' play stoves everywhere we went. So, I looked around at all the options out there and kept coming back to this wood kitchen sold by Pure Play Kids (one of my blog sponsors). I really liked the natural wood look as well as the proportions and style and knew that Daphne would totally dig all the features—the shelf, the sink, the burners, the cupboard/oven. Buying it for Daphne's birthday last month was a splurge, but well worth it.

As promised a while back, here's a full tour of the kitchen and her various kitchen tools and foods…

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 16

Here Daphne has eggs cooking in the frying pan on the front burner and oatmeal in the pot on the back burner. The burner knobs all turn, which is important when you're cooking up a storm. The faucet and the sink handles turn as well.

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 12

The entire kitchen is the perfect size for Daphne at three. The stovetop is waist height and she can easily reach her kitchen tools and food items stored along the top shelf.

The market basket you see beside the kitchen is full of Maia's old wooden Melissa and Doug fruits and vegetables.

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 02

The little wooden acorns are often served as snacks (or sorted into different bowls). They are one of Daphne's favorite "foods."

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 08

Her absolute top favorite, though, to cook and serve is the wool felt oatmeal and wooden blueberries that came in the wooden canister above with a little wooden scoop (the rest of the oatmeal must be cooking at the moment…).

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 05

This stack of colorful wooden bowls gets used all the time for serving eggs, cherries,  oatmeal, everything.

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 33

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 35

The blue and brown eggs are pretty awesome. I bought them, along with many of the other play food items shown, from Apple n Amos, but don't see them listed in their etsy shop at the moment (I do see some natural wooden eggs). (They add new things all the time, so if you want the eggs or oatmeal or something, I'd suggest checking back or contacting them…)

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 04

The oven/cupboard is both where Daphne bakes as well as where she stores extra pots and dishes…

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 19

Kids Wood Play Kitchen 01

So you can see why Daphne loves her little kitchen so much and why she thinks everyone should have the very same one. It's pretty special.

P.S. This isn't an official review or anything and Pure Play Kids doesn't know I'm posting about this.

Comments

1. Wendi Bushehry says

This is so cute, I had one for my daughter and I had one growing up, they are so busy cooking something

Wow! Daphne is a big girl now. I remember reading your blog first when you just took a maternity break, or may be she was just born. Time flies. Seems like your Maia, my Maya and Daphne are growing up all together, just through your blog and all the art that you do.
    Another thing. Your house seems so child centric. I love it. And feel a little bit guilty.

Aren’t the wooden kitchens the best! We received one by Elves & Angels for a Christmas gift a few years ago, and it’s been a favorite ever since! Seeing all your photos has inspired me to revamp all our play food and cookware though. We could definitely use some improvement in that area! :)

Hi Jean, I love your photos! Daphne looks so absorbed in her roleplay. I’m a big fan of your blog, I’ve been following you for a while now, and I think its fantastic how you are so enthusiastic about your (and by blogging about it, ours too!) children’s creativity: it’s such an important part of childhood.
    I wondered if you might like to see the play kitchen my husband and I made out of an old telephone unit I found on Freecycle? Not that I want to make you feel you spent your money for no reason, because your kitchen is wonderful!! And the toy food is gorgeous too :-) All the best, Chloe x

5. beth says

I am so glad you did this post! I had admired your little kitchen when I saw it in the background in a photo in another post! So neat to see it up close and personal…thank you!

Yes, our house is definitely child centric. Probably too much so. If I had a big enough house to have a separate playroom, though, I’d probably do it!! (And don’t feel guilty, please! We all do that too much. I know I certainly do — in other areas.)

Absolutely!! I would love to see the play kitchen you guys made out of an old telephone unit!! You can e-mail a photo ([email protected])or post one on my facebook page. I’m all for free and repurposing! :)

Thanks so very much Jean for a great post and photos of your sweet pea playing! Oh and for mentioning Apple n Amos in the post.

So sweet. Love the acorns. We got our wooden kitchen used from craigslist and it took some time to wax and polish it. Yes it is so nice to have a wooden kitchen for pretend play. Can you tell me where you got the cherries and blueberries. Those are so lovely.

I have such a hard time simplifying our play kitchen. I think it puts the boys off after the initial excitement. Thanks for the reminder that a 6 pack of eggs, a box of brownie mix and some bowls and spoons is effective.

Aww cutie :) Fist I was like Oh man why these eggs are so different lol then I saw her great post and hey little angel your kitchen is really beautiful:)