Finding Out My Enneagram Personality Types

Pumpkins and Marigolds 1

Okay, I'm going to get a little woo-woo on you here. But I've just taken the Enneagram personality test and am simply fascinated by it!

Apparently, I'm primarily a Type 9 (The Peacemaker) with a secondary Type 4 (The Individualist). The descriptions of each are extensive and include advice for relating with others, how to be your best, and what your type is like at its worst, etc. So interesting!

Here's a bit from The Peacemaker description:

"Generally, Nines are patient, steady, easygoing, receptive, relaxed, unselfconscious, agreeable, uncomplicated, contented, comforting, sensual, and idealizing."

"In brief, Nines want to find unity and wholeness, to create harmony in their environment, to feel spacious and at ease, to emphasize the positive, to avoid conflicts and tension, to resist change and preserve things as they are, and to ignore whatever would upset or disturb them."

And here's a bit from The Individualist description:

"Generally Fours are intuitive, sensitive, impressionable, quiet, introspective, passionate, romantic, elegant, witty, imaginative, and self-expressive."

"Above all, Fours want their life to be a work of art. They want to achieve something beautiful despite the loneliness, suffering, and self-doubt they have so often felt."

Throughout the descriptions, I found myself nodding and agreeing with much of what was said. Not all, but a lot of it. Enough to feel that it's pretty accurate.

Pumpkins and Marigolds 2

My mom thinks I shouldn't mention my ups and downs here on my blog. Not that I air all my dirty laundry, but I haven't felt the need to keep it all private either. And now that I've read my Enneagram descriptions, I can see that it's just part of my natural personality.

Fours "are emotionally honest and aren't afraid to reveal themselves to others, 'warts and all.'"

Which is true sometimes. In other words, when I'm not being my usual reserved self or when I'm with friends. And since you all are my friends, I feel free to share some of the bad along with the good.

So, while we're on the subject, I wanted to explain why I've been absent from the blog this past week when I usually post almost every day. Part of it is that I crashed a bit after working so intensely on the winter crafts ebook, part of it is that this is a hard time of year for me and the depression I sometimes feel can get a bit overwhelming, part of it is due to Halloween prep and parties and costumes, and part of it is because I came down with a nasty cold right after Halloween (and it's still a nasty cold!).

Pumpkins and Marigolds 6

Anyway, between all those, I haven't been able to even look at the computer, let alone turn it on and write up a blog post. But I'm feeling better today and the Enneagram test and results were so interesting, I felt compelled to share.

Have you taken the enneagram test to find out your type? Did you think it was accurate and helpful?

There are a couple of books out there about the enneagram (The Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types) and I'm going to see if I can get them from the library this week. This is fun in a self-knowledge kind of way, but I also want to better learn how I can use this information.

P.S. The pumpkin and marigold photos obviously have nothing to do with the enneagram. I came out onto the porch a couple weeks ago to see that Maia and a friend had decorated the pumpkin line-up with marigolds from our garden. And lacking a photo of myself taking an online personality test (super interesting, right?), I decided to take this as an excuse to share these pics.

Comments

1. allison says

Fascinating test. Thanks for posting. I am equal parts Loyalist and Enthusiast, with the Reformer and Challenger being the least likely category for me. Everything else was the same score.
    By the way, and more importantly, I appreciate everything you do and everything you share-and don’t share, because we all need time to ourselves to sort it all out. If you take a break, we will all still be here supporting you upon your return. Also, please don’t feel that you should only wear your “crafty mama” hat on your blog. We come for more than just the amazing creativity you offer…

I only know you a little through the internet, but I am not surprised with the test results. I think that is further indication that you put forth an authentic version of yourself, which is appreciated. Also, I associated Halloween with sickness. We always seem to be sick at Halloween, so I think of it as a very low energy holiday that I experience in a daze. This was the first year of the past three that I was not responsible for helping plan Halloween parties, and it was nice. Happy post-Halloween!

I have never heard of this type of test, but I did take a personality test when I was in college and found it absolutely fascinating. I felt it was quite accurate at the time.
    I hope you’re feeling better. Take care this week,
    Sarah M

4. jennifer says

i’m a 9, and agreed with a lot of it, but not all of it. there are a lot more woo woo things that are more accurate….including hand analysis, BodyTalk (which you could great benefit from), Shamanism….etc.
    i appreciate that you keep it real here. that’s what blogs are about. they’re not ads. they’re real people writing about their real life. you’re here and not only your art is what we relate to. keep up the great work!

So fascinating. I haven’t taken the test but now want to! And I get about sharing the ups and downs – if we can’t be our authentic selves, it’s just too stifling. I appreciate your honesty and it makes me like your blog that much more.

6. Becky Madsen says

My husband and I got into the Enneagram a year or so ago and it has been fascinating! We have The Wisdom of the Enneagram which is fantastic book. Knowing about the different types has been so helpful for me in understanding myself, my husband and especially my children!

7. Emily says

Hi, I’ve been reading your site recently and have really enjoyed it as a resource. I have a son who just turned two and I’m seeking ways to keep him occupied and interest him in art. My challenge right now is lack of an art space in our condo home where we can just let go and be messy, especially because we hope to sell soon. I’d love to start a toddler art group if I could find a way to do it that doesn’t leave permanent messes on our light colored walls and carpet.
    I found the enneagram years ago and test as a type 4. Reading the Wisdom of the Enneagram made me cry because it was the first time that I felt like “someone” understood me. I wouldn’t say every single characteristic was correct but it was awfully close and it was really interesting to see the descriptions of the types at their worst and best.
    I’m looking forward to your Christmas ebook!

8. Carly says

Try to take a bit of time for yourself this week, even just for a cup of tea. As a mother of two little ones, I know this in itself can seem like a daunting task, but I’m always amazed by what a difference it can make. Be well.

9. amanda says

Thanks Jean for sharing some of your ups and downs. I too find this time of year hard and am having a particularly bad time of it right now as we have moved to the coast where it is warmer but much gloomier than the prairies.
    I work with a charity as a volunteer running some fundraising and it was hard for them to understand that last week I just couldn’t bear to even look at my e-mail.
    I love your blog and really enjoyed the autumn e-book. We did leaf casts (total disaster I forgot the oil!), spider webs and the pumpkin pie play clay. All big hits.
    I think I may go take that test later today.

10. Kristin says

I have recently been going through the worst bout of depression/anxiety I have ever experienced. One of the hardest parts has been feeling like I am all alone, like I am the only person who has ever felt this crazy or out of control of my emotions. I think if we all talked about this a little bit more, we might be able to accept it as a part of life rather than feeling that this shouldn’t be happening and that we have to hide it.

11. Dena says

Hi Jean,
    So many things happen this time of year; lots of holiday’s, lots of looking inward, lots of sickness going around and big change in temperature all make it hard to not get gloomy. Life isn’t all happiness, all the time…………..I cry in front of Naomi when I am upset because it’s a part of life, and don’t hide it from my friends, why should you hide it from your blog world. And as you said, it’s not like you air your dirty laundry!
    Glad you are back though and sharing something interesting……definitely taking the test.

12. rosie says

Jean, As I have mentioned to you before, I applaud you for talking about your depression. I too have been there and as a result, I have been on an antidepressant for almost 20 years. When folks learn that about me, they are always shocked. I divulge so people know that anyone can suffer from depression and it is nothing to be ashamed of. It used to be a stigma (when I was young….now 55), but not anymore. Everyone sees your wonderful, exciting, creative, colorful (need I go on, because I could!) blog and they probably see you as someone who never comes in contact with sadness or suffering. The more depression is spoken about, the more people will seek help and feel better. Kudos to you, my friend, for being present with your life and your comments. Keep digging in that garden of yours! There’s nothing like dirt under one’s fingernails to help one feel “grounded”….pun intended! :>)

I did the Enneagram tests many years ago and I am a 4 with 9 secondary!!! They used to call Fours the Romantics. Not sure why they changed the name.
    Hang in there! I know how debilitating depression can be!

14. Jen says

First, I LOVE your site. I visit all the time to get ideas to use with my sons. Your advice on “must-have” art/craft supplies is priceless.
    Second, I, too, am a 9 and a secondary 4. Perhaps that’s why your ideas and writing resonate so strongly with me.
    Thank you for everything!

15. mfm says

Your “warts and all” writing is my favorite part of The Artful Parent! Thank you for your words. Take care of yourself. We’ll be here when you have time to post.

16. Katie says

I love the Enneagram as well and am also a 9 – I’m always glad to know of other 9s since it seems there are so few of us! :) The Enneagram did really help me since I was slipping down the levels of integration due to a terrible work environment and becoming aware of just how destructive this situation was to me gave me the impetus I needed to change jobs and I was so much happier! So, I consider the Enneagram my counselor in many ways since it doesn’t pull punches when it comes to pointing out my unhealthy habits of relating/dealing with stress and showing me a path to improve that is truly in line with who I am.

17. Kristina says

So glad more people are learning about the Enneagram! I’m a one with a two wing here! I think it’s really great to learn more about yourself by using psychology tests like this one.

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog, via a blog roll because I saw the word enneagram. I recently took it (and am 7 and 4). Anyway, I just wanted to say that I found the book “The Wisdom of the Enneagram” very helpful, I hope your library has it. Thanks for sharing.
    All the best,
    Emily

I’m a nine (with a one wing) also. :) The Wisdom of the Enneagram is the book I used, and it was soooooo helpful at really processing the type and what to do with that information. I also found it amazingly encouraging in terms of parenting. The beginning of that book talks about how childhood effects our types and the messages we heard or needed to hear during that time to be balanced/most healthy. It made me want to explore those things and look at the messages we send to our two girls at home.