Creating a Vision Board

This has been a week of creating a vision board and I thought I'd share a bit about the process. This one is an accordion-fold vision board that I can fold up as a book and take with me (when I travel, for example) or stand up in my office to look at and be inspired by when I'm home. I LOVE this new format!

This wasn't going to be a vision board week. It was going to be a catch up on my to-do list week. A taxes week (ugh!). And a clean the house week.

But the kids were both sick. I was sick. And the taxes definitely didn't want to be done (I asked politely).

Creating a Vision Board

So, instead, I browsed through magazines and cut out images of sunshine and birds, palm trees and art.

I administered doses of medicine and I made cup after cup of tea with honey for all members of the family.

And I kept on clipping words about spring and color, magic and healing.

Creating a Vision Board

Maia slept away an afternoon, curled up in a ray of sunshine. The words "walking pneumonia" were suggested when we went to the doctor's office…

Creating a Vision Board

Daphne worked beside me at the table, coughing and covered in a mysterious full-body rash, but undaunted as she filled paper after paper with color.

Creating a Vision Board

I arranged and rearranged images and words, weaving together layers of meaning that spoke to my soul.

I was on a mission I didn't even know I needed to be on.

Creating a Vision Board

Last week, I walked out of The Artist's Way course discussion about integrity in tears. The theme of this week's reading is possibility, which I find so wonderfully inviting.

Creating a vision board became a natural way to process what both of these mean for me.

I clipped phrases such as "show your true colors," "live life to discover," and "A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire, for the mind as well as the body" (a Ben Franklin quote) and found images of journaling, yoga, and birds. Slowly, slowly, the words and images came together and I pasted them into a double-sided accordion book.

Creating a Vision Board

I've been making vision boards for years and love the process. Love the product. This is the first time I've used the accordion book format, though. To create the base, I glued together sturdy file folders, which worked perfectly.

Creating a Vision Board

The accordion format was inspired by a book I picked up during my February blogging break called The Right-Brain Business Plan by Jennifer Lee.

Creating a Vision Board

With the subtitle of "A Creative, Visual Map for Success," I knew it was just the sort of business plan I needed could handle. While I didn't start out creating this particular vision board as a business plan, I found myself adding elements about my blog and my books.

Creating a Vision Board

For example, I have a little calendar taped onto one page (with washi tape!) to be filled in with blog tour dates and bookstore events.

Creating a Vision Board

I have ideas for tweaking my blog written on flip-up cards next to collaged words about making a difference through giving artful ideas.

Creating a Vision Board

And I jotted down a list of ideas for getting the word out about my new book on a card that slips into a pocket (envelope) taped to another page of the vision board.

Creating a Vision Board

All in all, this vision board is just the right mix of happy-making images and words that strike a chord with me as well as a motivating (yet loose) plan. And I just love how it folds up like a book to be flipped through and carried anywhere!

Creating a Vision Board

Or, unfurled along a shelf in the office to provide regular inspiration…. Here I have it standing before the wall-hung vision board I made at the beginning of the year.

Do you make vision boards? If so, I'd love to hear about your process!

Update: When I shared this post on my facebook page, Maya from MeMeTales said she made vision boards with her kids this year. I love her step-by-step post and plan to try this with my own girls soon!

Comments

lovely post and board. I really need to make one for me and I want my girls to create one of their own thinking this is perfect for Easter break!

Lovely Jean! As a mixed media artist and bookmaker this strikes a major cord with me. We are kindred art mama spirits and I love it! Sorry you’ve all been under the weather. Hope everyone is on the bend quickly. Would love to be included in your blog tour! Warmly, MaryLea

Thank you, Gidget. And yes, I think this would be a great idea to do with your girls over Easter break! And maybe I’ll do the same with mine… :)

Yes, we are definitely kindred art mama spirits, MaryLea! One of these days soon we’ll have to meet in person!
    The publisher is arranging the blog tour, but I’d love to have you! I’ll check in with them…

I love this idea! What a beautiful way to feed your get-well endorphins. Thank you for the inspiration. I must make time to do it soon. Store-bought calendar planners are so dry and unexciting in comparison!

Wow.. we┬┤ve got a simillar idea to display our comunity project (kindergarten renovation)… thanks for the inspiration

I just recently bought that book(The Right-Brained Business Plan) as well. I am axious to make time to do the vision board for my photography business. It will be a great tool to use with my son as well to plan for our homeschool next year. Thanx for the great inspiration. Are you a creativeLive fan as well? That’s where I first heard about the book though I am so bummed I missed the live seminar. Blessings to you and hope everyone is all well at your house!

8. Liz says

I have made vision boards with my primary class at the end of the school year. We have made them every year for about three years running and they loved it! First we would discuss the process. I invited them to look for pictures that spoke to them and that maybe showed ideas or things (not material things) they may want for themselves in the future. In the mornings the children would browse (child friendly) magazines and cut pictures out (great practice for cutting skills!). I would prepare some large boards for them, usually from old cardboard boxes which I would cover with a coloured sheet of construction paper of their choice. They would then move onto placing and glueing the pictures (more good practice!). When finished I would discuss the boards with them one on one asking them questions about the pictures and their hopes and wishes. We would then all sit together and make a presentation of our boards to eachother. The teachers would make one too. It was an amazing and exciting project. Some students would bring back their board from the previous year which they had cherished. I have been on maternity leave. You have reminded me it is high time that I made a new board again, possibly in a smaller or more practical format. Thank you for the inspiration.

I love this idea. My kids and I are all home, this week, with bronchitis, so I feel your family illness pain and think we will do this tomorrow! Thanks for sharing and I hope you all feel better soon.

Thanks for sharing your process and your vision book. It’s interesting to see how your thoughts and decisions moved visually in a concrete form. I admire that you appear to have suspended judgement and celebrated your intuition. I heard Jenn speak at Squam several years ago and that was one of the strongest messages I heard listening to her talk “to embrace intuition to problem solve and create.”
    Congrats on your new book(The Artful Parent)too!

I’ve never heard of a Vision Board, but I love it. I think it’s just the thing to put in front of me on my desk, and for the children to build too. Thankyou.

12. Stephanie says

I love your blog, but I just wanted to comment on Daphne’s rash – it looks just like what my son had, which was a type of allergic reaction to amoxicillin. It happened the 2nd time he took the drug on day 8 of the treatment. It’s called Erythema multiforme http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000851.htm I am commenting only because if it is because of an allergic reaction, another exposure could be more serious and it is somewhat difficult to treat (it is not hives).
    Thanks for making my family’s life more ‘artful’ and healthy wishes for you and your family.

13. Dena says

Very artsy vision boards! I have been doing them for quite a few years. I love the book style! Sometimes, when I need a quick mood lifter, or need to figure out how I am feeling or anything else like that, I do a 5×7 vision board (sometimes I call them dream boards). I just use thick 5×7 stock. Definitely going to start doing them with Naomi.
    Thanks for the reminder!

Hi Jean,
    I appreciate the honesty with which you write your blog. It’s great that you are nurturing your creative self as wonderfully as your blog nurtures ours. Thanks for sharing.

My big kids (9, 9 and 5) have plans for big pin board vision boards when they (finally) move into their new rooms. They have seen me make small ones now and then and are inspired by the idea, but we decided pin boards were good as they could easily add to them and change them around as they grow. Now I want one for my room too!

LOVE this – i have my vision board in a frame propped against my bedroom wall. I recently sat in on the replays from the Right brain business summit online and was thinking of making a right brain business plan (and saw a friend post one yesterday) – i love the portability and scale of these. Thanks for sharing your example as i love the list in the envelope pocket idea – will be stealing that one for sure.
    i hope you are all feeling better this week! deb xx

LOVE! I have a vision board as well but I adore this idea of doing it on file folders.
    Sorry your little ones are sick. Both of my boys have asthma and it is no fun for them or me :-( Hope they are better soon.