Soaring on Wings of Creativity

Soaring on Wings of Creativity

Today is the last day of The Artist's Way course that I've been taking. A bittersweet day. Yes, this amazing class is over but I am a different person now with the tools and the confidence to go forward on my own—to continue to explore my own creativity and to make art.

Heck, I made myself wings!

Feather detail on wings

Wings for my creativity.

Remember when I sewed wings for Maia and Daphne? I think I mentioned that great quote about giving your kids wings:

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: one is roots, the other is wings. -Hodding Carter

Wings of Creativity

I love that quote, but you know what? As parents, we need to make sure our own wings are in working order as well. And mine weren't. Not really. They were dusty and forgotten. I wrote in my morning pages more than once that they felt clipped.

Wings of Creativity

It took this life-changing course for me to identify the broken set of wings in the corner of the attic as mine and to dust them off, give them a fresh coat of paint, and lavish them with the love and attention they needed.

Wings of Creativity

I'm not saying I'm soaring yet, but I've taken enough steps in the right direction, both mentally and physically, over these 12 weeks that I know I will be up there riding the winds in the not-too-distant future.

Wings of Creativity

And I am committed.

I am committed for my own sake, but also for the sake of my kids. Because how can I show them how to fly if my own wings don't work?

It's hard to give our children wings if our own are clipped.

Do you have any dreams that you need to dust off and welcome back into your life?

Wings of Creativity

P.S. Maia says she wants to make a set of these paper wings now!

P.P.S. Some notes on the wings:

• The wings are double-sided and also very flexible, as you can see here. Some paints might be brittle or crack, but I used
    BioColor paints
    on both sides of the
    white butcher paper
    which created a thin, plasticky layer that is quite flexible. The head is made from poster board and glued to the body.
  • Feathers were drawn on with Sharpie markers, including metallic ones. In addition, individual paper feathers were drawn, cut out, and glued on. Maia and Daphne even helped make some! And some were cut from an Artist's Way group art piece (we had a class assignment to incorporate the group art piece into an artwork of our own).
  • I wrote down the ideas, things, artists, and authors who influence my creativity and who I am on the inner side of the bird—one to a feather.

Note: This post contains affiliate links for the art supplies mentioned.

Comments

Beautiful, valuable thoughts, Jean. I’ve slowly been realizing just how important it is for me to model good boundaries and healthy self-care for my daughters. I know that parenting involves self sacrifice, especially when the kids are super tiny, but I never would have realized how easy it is to get stuck in that mode longer than necessary until it happened to me. I am so excited to see where this journey toward realizing your dreams takes you (and your family)! :)

forgot to say with both my girls in school (now 6th and 1st grade) I went back to college to get my early childhood education degree. I always wanted to complete and get my degree and I’m showing my girls you can fulfill your dreams even if you are a 43 year old stay at home mom!

Wonderful project and you look radiant with the wings outstretched!
    I love that quote that inspired the work. What you’re writing about is so true.
    Sarah M

What beautiful wings you have! I especially love the celebration of your creative influences and honouring who you are. I agree that we must take care of our creative spirits in order to truly nurture others!

5. Maryeliz says

Wow, you’re amazing. Love to see you nurturing YOU. Thank you for all you share with us on this blog.

What an encouraging posts. I have liked it very much. Thanks. I hope those wings take you everywhere you dream of

7. Dena says

The eyes, the beak, the feathers, incredible, bravo! Thank you for sharing this part of yourself……..your journey is very inspiring!

Dear Jean, I work coordinating free play groups for babies and toddlers and parents have always been such an important part of my educational goals… when parents find self fulfilment they also allow their children to do so. Your idea is so fantastic! I will introduce it as a creative art work suggestion for parents in my groups! Thank you so much! Which course did you take? I´m curious about it! I sounds great :)
    Im SO happy for your renewed happiness, it infuses joy! Love,
    Fernanda

Fernanda – The course I’ve been taking is called the Artist’s Way and it’s based on the book by the same title by Julia Cameron. I highly recommend it! I have a link in the post above to the specific course I took, but I believe there are Artist’s Way courses all over.

Exactly. Parenting definitely involves self sacrifice, but you’re right –It’s easier to get stuck in that mode longer than necessary. And it can sometimes be hard to move out of it enough to get reacquainted with our dreams (or find new ones).