A Trip to the Bookstore in Search of Our Book

The Artful Parent Book at Malaprops Bookstore!

Yesterday was an exciting day around here! As the official release day for my book, it was full of all kinds of fun. Lots of great Amazon reviews to read (Thank you, thank you!), an after school trip to our fave local bookstore, flowers, notes of congrats…

The highlight was taking the girls to Malaprops Bookstore in search of "our book." We had to ask for help finding it—it wasn't on the shelves with the parenting books but rather up in the front window.*

The Artful Parent Book display at Malaprops

Three copies at kid level.

Three copies taken off their stands and admired anew (despite our home copies being well thumbed through already).

Three kids searching and finding their own photos in the books (our friend Stella, who was with us, is well represented too.).

We had to buy one of the books. Just because. It was our book on the shelf and we were there at the bookstore. And Maia said she really, really wanted to give a copy to her teacher.

The kids took turns carrying it to the cash register, to the car, home. It was clearly a special book.

The Artful Parent book and flowers

And when we got home? There were flowers waiting on the front porch along with a card from the folks at Roost Books who have put so much time and expertise into making this book a reality.

All in all, a good day.

*I'm doing a hands-on family art event at Malaprops Bookstore on Saturday, May 11th at 3pm.

Comments

That is phenomenal.
    I remember the first time I laid hands on an actual printed-and-bound book of a manuscript I’d worked on. (I was a copy editor in my life-before-kids.) I’m a little breathless thinking about how much *more* exciting it must be when it’s an actual printed-and-bound book of your *own* manuscript!
    I had a notification that my copy is shipping this morning. I can’t wait to see it in person! xo

2. Carly says

I love this post. It actually brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment. It’s so exciting that you can continue to spread your creativity through another medium. I fully intend to make this my go-to present for new parents.

3. Dena says

The excitement and pride in this post absolutely made my day. My artful parent book is here, right next to me!
    Congrats!

4. Debbie Rosenkranz says

What a wonderful way to celebrate. Congratulations to you and your little artist’s!

5. anjali says

Hi,
    I live in The Netherlands in Amsterdam and I saw your beautiful book in 2 book shops yesterday.
    Congratulations.
    Anjali

6. Lisa says

Same sentiments as Dena and Carly… this post brought tears to my eyes and made my day. It’s so nice to hear such a happy story of enjoying an exciting accomplishment with family and friends. I was just watching “The Voice” the other day wishing I see more happy people celebrating an accomplishment and how I only get to see it on these singing shows. So thanks for sharing!

7. nancy says

Congrats. You deserve this. You have shared so much with all of us, now its your turn to receive the wonderment.

Congratulations Jean – that is so awesome – and I bet super exciting to see it on display! I got an email from amazon earlier in the week to say that my copy of your book had been dispatched – and I can’t wait until I get to have a good look through – hopefully in a couple of weeks!! Super, super awesome – I’m so happy for you. xoxo

9. Monique says

Congratulations, Jean!! I received my copy today, it is fabulous! I have enjoyed following your journey and taken inspiration from you since I first read your article in Mothering many years ago, then from following your blog, and now the book – so excited for you!

10. Agnes says

Congratulations, Jean! I’m so excited for you, and thank you for sharing your love of creating art with children.

11. Luli Hernandez says

Hi Jean! congratulations on the release of your book!! is there any way I can get it shipped to Argentina? Amazon has too many issues related to legal import to the country, and I know other companies are by far more practical and organized, at least as for south american markets. Any data is useful, thank you! and again, ENJOY this wonderful moment!

12. [email protected] says

I just started a job doing activities with Alzheimer’s and dementia patients and saw this book in a hobby/craft store. I have used it and your website and it is perfect! Thank you!