Color Therapy

Color Therapy 5

It took
longer than I thought to get out of my funk. And some serious color therapy.

I painted
my office sunshine yellow.

Just a
little trick to make it a happy room that I want to spend time in.

I think it's
working…

Don't get
me wrong. I'm still on the antidepressants.

The
doctors tell me I need to be on them for the rest of my life. A decade ago I
didn't believe them. I thought if I just did enough things right — get
sunshine, exercise, take my vitamins, etc, that I wouldn't need them. But I've
ended up back on several times.

Color Therapy 3

So yes, I'm on meds. But I
decided to try a little color therapy this time as well.

My yellow
office is making me so happy right now. Really. I smile every time I go into
the room. I pause in the doorway when I'm walking past just so I can gaze in
and soak it all in. I am truly, very happy with my bright, bright room.

I keep
trying to be someone who likes subtle, sophisticated colors.

beige. And gray.

But I
don't.

Color Therapy 4

I revel in turquoise. Sunflower yellow. Cardinal red. Fuschia. Orange. Lime green.

I think
it's time to give up the wish for sophisticated and enjoy the gypsy colors that
make me smile.

What
colors make you happy?

Comments

Beautiful! And I too am on antidepressants, maybe for life. I have come to accept that it is a part of who I am, but only a small part. I will be thinking of you.

2. kara campbell says

Good for you for staying on top on your health and doing whatever it takes to stay healthy, this year I have seen a fair share of women not pay attention to their health and it takes a heavy toll on kids and marriages when you just try to put a brave face on it. Many people are in your boat, thanks for so being so open you are an inspiration!

3. Dena says

Hi Jean,
    I love your honesty, and that your spirit always shines through! (That’s how I know you’re gonna be ok!) Since I have a small home, I look at all the homes on apartment therapy and they usually all have neutral color palates. I can’t do it either! Happiness comes in color to me……..yellow, red, teal, bright grape purple, I’ve got it somewhere in my house, :) I still have a few rooms that I haven’t painted since the previous owners, all in time.
    One of my favorite sunshine tricks is cutting open an orange, it’s just bursting with happiness.

4. Shannon says

LOVE the room so bright and cheerful!!! :) How could you not smile in that room :)

5. Krissy says

Love it! I can totally relate about the meds too. I am on anti-anxiety medicine and like you I thought if I did everything correctly – exercised, meditation, healthy eating, etc. I wouldn’t need them. But a wise friend told me that sometimes a biological problem needs a biological solution so I am going with that theory!

I love the gypsy colors as well. Cheers to embracing your true self. What’s so great about being sophisticated anyway? I LOVE this yellow room. You are inspiring me to brighten up my studio/office.
    So many people in my art community have been struggling with depression recently. One artists even joked that there must be something in the air. Thank you for writing about it so openly. I think it makes so many of us feel less alone in our own struggles.

7. Sally S. says

You office looks amazing (and makes me a tiny bit jealous ;))
    So happy that it brings you happiness!!

I think you are *totally* right on the mark. Those colors are bold and they say something about the authentic you. When we bought our first house, we painted everything turquoise, teal, sky and dark blue, and rich browns, and I LOVED it. I’d do it again, too, once we’re out of our rental situation. Colors do enhance our moods. We want to be in places we think are beautiful, for sure.
    Sarah M

9. Anelizabeth Marlowe says

Thanks for sharing! I love bright colors and deep rich colors as well. I live in a rental home and the only color I’ve been able to bring into the walls (without permission…)is a huge rainbow I painted on the wall of the classroom which was the master bedroom. I can see it when I walk in the house from the front door and when I spend time in the classroom it makes me happy. I’ve been thinking about sneaking some more color into my office. I have corner windows with soft green curtains and a flowered chair that dominates the corner. It’s my reading and thinking chair and I really love it. I love the shelves on your walls and think I just might have to remove my bookcase and create a wall of shelves instead. Happy day!

10. Aileen says

Your room looks so beautiful. I love the chalkboard door.
    I stopped by your blog this morning, thinking I hadn’t seen a post in a while and wondering how you were doing. I used your simple playdough recipe (again). My kids and I had a great time playing with it and a large collection of shells we brought home from Florida. Then I saw the email with your most recent post. Your posts always inspire, motivate, or excite me in some way. Thanks for your continued efforts and your honesty. All the best :)

LOVE the yellow. I had considered painting the wall in front of my sewing machine that color! I also like grays though, they are soothing to me. My kids and I have been talking about what colors make us feel lately and I have been getting a lot of red (excited) and turquoise (melancholy or happy, depending on the moment). Is that one of those rock lamps on your desk, too? I’ve been thinking of getting one, they seem super soothing to me (plus, the whole rock hound thing I inherited from my grandma). I hope the sunshine continues to push away the dark clouds. xo

Best wishes for your health. It took me awhile as well before I realized my doctor was right about antidepressants.
    I love yellow too. My foyer is also bright yellow like your office.

The yellow is lovely, and it’s nice to take a peak at your fun office. I’m so glad that you’re feeling better, Jean, and finding constructive ways to kick depression in the pants. You’ve been in my thoughts!

14. Amy Fields says

I have a bright blue kitchen. I would paint every room in my house bright if I had my way:). Do what you need to do!

Every room in my house is painted a different color. I am the same way, I try to be sophisticated but my heart’s a vibrant red. Enjoy your yellow room, it will help. Sending you love as you make your way. You are incredibly inspiring!

16. May says

I don’t get how you need antidepressans, maybe all this parenting and staying at home is not your goal in life, you gotta change everything…

First, good for you for taking care of yourself! Second, I wish you could come to my house!! We bought it 6 years ago and have yet to repaint the walls in any room (granted, our first was born 6 months after we bought our house, as I had just started my Master program and our second was born 17 months later just as I was finishing my Masters…) It’s all grey, beige, and not so very fun colors. I yearn to paint, sunflower yellow, orange, some bright blue, but I am afraid of doing it at the same time!

18. Anna says

Dear Jean,
    Sending hugs and compliments on your sunny office. I think so many of us get into trouble when we try to be what we aren’t/ don’t honor what we are. You are beautiful, and I am glad you are doing what’s right for you.

19. Amy says

Just be you : )
    Do you think you are an introvert and all the book promoting stuff is getting to you? There’s a book I want to read, Quiet, about introverts. She has an introvert quiz on there too. I only thought about that for you because you mentioned that you didn’t like being seen in your one post.

Oh, no beige for me neather, never. I love fuschia and orange and ruby red, turquoise, …
    And I do believe color and architecture can make you happy. Alain de Botton wrote a book about it.
    So hooray for your lovely office!

That’s a good way to think about it, Lisa. “It’s a part of who I am, but only a small part.” Thank you. I let it all take on a bigger importance than I should sometimes.

Molly – It’s a salt lamp. I LOVE it. It’s supposed to be good for the air and especially to counteract the EMF waves from computers and such. But mostly I just like how it looks!

23. Margo says

(The word “gypsy” is a racial slur, hon.)
    Loving the colours!! And I don’t think antidepressents are anything to be ashamed of. If you broke a leg, you wouldn’t just decide to slap a band-aid on it and call it better, right?

Hi Jean,
    I’m really glad you’re feeling better. :)
    I love your office and the wall color. The couch in my own office is the same bright, sunflower yellow. Unsurprisingly, it makes me very happy!

25. Kathleen says

Just wanted you to know that I appreciate your blog, your writing, and your honesty. It’s not easy to be “out in front” when it comes to personal things, but I’m glad you do it. Wishing you all the best!

I love your office! We had a room that colour in our last house. I just wanted to say I am hoping you feel better soon. I love your work and have been sharing your book with all my friends in real life, who are all placing orders. :)
    Your blog and books bring sunshine to my life. I am thinking of you x

You are not less than for taking meds, just as you are not less than for painting your office a color you like. You are Jean! And we all appreciate you just the way you are. I think that’s apparent in all the comments. Go, you!