As you know, I buy our art supplies from a variety of places, both locally and online. One place I return to again and again is Stubby Pencil Studio, for the quality of the art supplies offered and because of the eco-friendly focus. I’ve also worked with Kate, Stubby Pencil’s owner, as a blog sponsor for years in the past and I consider her a friend (although we haven’t met in person yet!).
I’ve been wanting to write a post of my favorites from Stubby Pencil for a while now, and as I just received my most recent order of art and school supplies in the mail, I decided now would be a good time!
Some things I buy from Stubby Pencil Studio, year after year
- Colored pencils :: We buy all of our colored pencils from Stubby Pencil Studio, both for home and school use. We especially like the groove pencils but have bought and used quite a few of them over the years.
- Regular pencils :: Yep, these too. Most of our regular pencils are from Stubby Pencil.
- Crayon rocks :: We love crayon rocks! Plus they make great gifts for the little people in our life.
- Other crayons :: These push-up crayons are great and we buy the regular kind as well as the metallic (they are the best metallic crayon we’ve tried). For a cheaper option, we buy and like the Prang soy crayons.
- Watercolor paints :: We’re always trying out whatever new watercolor paint sets Stubby Pencil offers (she changes them up fairly frequently) and have rarely been disappointed. They range from cheap but good to raw-ther expensive (but excellent, of course).
- Sketchbooks :: The girls usually get one of Kate’s awesome sketchbooks for birthdays and at Christmas.
- Stickerbooks :: This is another regular gift around here. Her stickerbooks are lovely.
- Erasers :: We love all these cute little erasers and I can’t stop myself from buying them! Although these are the kind that actually get used.
- Pencil Sharpener :: This KUM double sharpener is awesome and we have used it for a while now. So this is not something we buy year after year, but rather something we bought once and use year after year.
Trying new art supplies from Stubby Pencil
I also really enjoy trying new art materials (I may, possibly have just a tiny bit of an art supply fetish) and like that Kate regularly adds new supplies to her online shop.
- Paint sticks :: We really enjoy the convenience and vibrancy of these paint sticks. Plus no-mess! (I wrote a blog post about the paint sticks here.)
- Watercolor pencils :: Kate sent me a set of her new jumbo watercolor pencils to try recently (for free, lucky me) and they are the best we’ve used yet. The color is so bright and they are truly water soluble. Look how well the pencil lines blurred into watercolor paint with the addition of water in my Instagram pic above!
- Pencils :: I feel like each time I place an order with Stubby Pencil, I try out a different kind of graphite pencil. Both of my kids love their monkey pencils!
- Acrylic paints :: I bought some of her little acrylic paints this past spring to put in the girls’ Easter baskets and really like them, especially the metallic acrylic paints. The pots are small, but the paints go a long way since they are thinner (craft paint style).
- Scented markers :: I sent Maia to 4th grade earlier this week with these fun scented markers among her school supplies. No report yet on how well they work, but Maia was super excited about them!
Special reader discount
If you see some art supplies you’d like to buy from Stubby Pencil Studio, Kate has given me a special online discount code for you to use ::
APSAVE20 for 20% off your total order
Also, earlier this week, I asked Kate from Stubby Pencil if she’d be willing to offer a selection of my favorite kids’ art supplies as a giveaway on The Artful Parent. She said yes!
The Stubby Pencil Studio Kids Art Supply Giveaway Package
This giveaway package includes the following hand-picked selection of children’s art supplies. These are some of our favorites from Stubby Pencil Studio and is truly an awesome giveaway, whether for someone just dipping their toes into kids’ art, for a family struggling to find room in the budget for art supplies, or even for someone who is a self-described art supply junkie (not naming names!).
- Jumbo watercolor pencils (set of 12)
- Smarkers Scented Markers (set of 6)
- Crayon Rocks (set of 16)
- Push-Up Metallic Crayons (set of 10)
- Monkey Pencil (set of 3)
- Clipper Junior Tri Pencils (set of 12)
- Acrylic Paints, Bright (set of 6)
- Tempera paint sticks (set of 12)
- Prang watercolor paint set (8 colors)
- Watercolor Paint Box (24 colors)
- Watercolor Paper, 9×12
- A Monkey Skate Sketchbook, 9×12
- KUM aluminum double sharpener
- Monkey erasers
Total value = $150 +
To enter for a chance to win this art supply package, see the giveaway details below…
This giveaway is now closed.
To enter the giveaway for the kids art supply package by Stubby Pencil Studio, leave a comment to this post by Thursday, August 28th at 11:59pm EST then head back up to the rafflecopter widget and tell it that you’re entering the giveaway. Winner will be chosen by random number generator and announced here on Friday, August 29th (I will also e-mail the winner). Giveaway open to US readers. Good luck!
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my weekly ARTletter. Sign up here for creativity delivered straight to your inbox.