If you’re looking for new painting ideas for kids, here are seven that you may not have tried yet. Each involves little more than paint and paper, but the approach to each is different and unique.
So change things up and give one of these art activities a go!
First, though, here are three of my favorite kids’ paints ::
- BioColor paints (my favorite all-round kids’ paint)
- Activity paint (my second favorite; the fluorescent and metallic are especially nice)
- Simple washable tempera paint (best value and great for littles)
And my favorite papers for painting ::
- Ultimate art paper (this is the paper we use for most art projects)
- Tag board / poster board (nice and sturdy and holds paint well)
- Easel paper / Easel paper (for working big)
7 Painting Ideas for Kids to Try
Dot to Dot Art Challenge for Kids :: A great way to build concentration and fine motor skills while creating a beautiful artwork.
Spin Painting with Kids :: Use a salad spinner or a spin art machine for this super-fun action art activity.
Gravity Painting :: This gravity art activity for kids combines science and art to demonstrate the force of gravity in a STEAM-filled activity that promotes creative thinking.
Texture Painting with Yarn :: Yarn painting is a fun, sensory-rich art experience for kids that allows them to create a variety of textured paint surfaces. Can be done with most paints.
Q-Tip Pointillism :: Q-tip painting and pointillism is an easy art project you can set up quickly. It can also be used to learn about Seurat and impressionism.
Painting with an Electric Drill :: Action art for kids!
Magazine Pictures as a Painting Prompt :: We’ve done these as a drawing prompt, but I’d like to try them again soon with paint!
More painting ideas for kids
(In case you’re looking for more!)
- 11 Favorite Painting Activities for Preschoolers
- Kids Painting Activities (part of my children’s art directory)
- My pinterest board on painting activities for kids
Pin It for Later