Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Check out our list of Earth Day activities with nature and recycled art projects for kids that are fun to make AND more friendly for our Earth.
Updated January 2023
To celebrate Earth Day next week, our team gathered together a list of 30 Earth Day activities for kids.
Through art, there exists a great opportunity to teach children to be good stewards. Children learn to reuse lids, caps and milk cartons. To turn a cardboard box into a castle, fort, or robot. To recycle cardboard tubes and create sculptures.
The possibility to assemble and make new things while recycling or upcycling the old sparks children’s imagination as they explore these non-traditional materials.
And a short walk outside with my son allows us the opportunity to breathe deep, soak in the sunshine and fresh air. We gather pinecones and sticks, some rocks and more sticks. Then to head home with our new treasures.
As we collect recyclables, save cardboard and consider how to give something old a new purpose, our kids are watching and learning this skill themselves. Below are some ideas that will hopefully inspire and put some of that recycling bin to creative use.
Happy Earth Day!
Earth Day Activities for Kids
7 Recycled Art Projects Using Reusable Materials
1. Painted Wood Block Sculptures
An easy sculpture project using wood scraps that’s fun to make for kids of all ages.
2. Cardboard Tube Sculptures
Put those cardboard tubes to good use with this fun sculpture project.
3. The BEST Toddler Art Activities
Paint a nature wall, create a collaborative recycled wall, reuse plastic caps and lids for sensory bins & use sticks, leaves and the like for set-ups!
4. Milk Carton Sailboat
Perfect for the sailboat loving kid in your life–use a recycled milk carton to create an amazing little sailboat.
5. A Happy Handmade Unicorn Craft
Create magical unicorns using empty cardboard tubes.
6. Stacked Cardboard Sculptures
A wonderful sculpture project for even the youngest artist.
7. Simple Flower Crowns for Kids from Paper Bags
Kids can feel like royalty with this awesome craft using recycled paper bags.
14 Recycled Art Projects Using Cardboard
1. Mixed Media Collage Portraits for Kids
These adorable collage portraits are a great way to reuse a cardboard box and are SO cute.
2. How to Make Miró Inspired Magic Animal Masks
Create wild and colorful animal masks with cardboard, paint, and a few other materials.
3. How to Make Cardboard Robot Puppets that Move
These robot puppets are friendly on the Earth and SO fun to play with and create.
4. How to Create Monochrome Art Collage Paintings
Gather collage materials and cardboard to make these vibrant little collages.
5. How to Make DIY Valentines for Kids
Make adorable valentine hearts that are great for Valentine’s Day, or any day really!
6. Recycled Hanging Rainbows
Create a colorful rainbow mobile with cardboard and buttons.
7. Drip Painting with Kids
Create a DIY cardboard easel and explore gravity in art with drip painting that results in unique artworks every time.
More Recycled Art Projects Using Cardboard
8. How to Make Cardboard Masks for Kids
Create vibrant cardboard masks perfect for imaginative play!
9. Cardboard Rainbow Collages
Use cereal boxes and old paintings to create these colorful collages.
10. Giant Cardboard Donuts
Just looking at these giant cardboard donuts is sure to bring a smile to your face.
11. Recycled Shape Art for Kids
A great way for young kids to work on learning their shapes through art.
12. How to Make a Cardboard Castle for Hours of Pretend Play
Need we say more?
13. How to Make DIY Stamps with Cardboard
Design and create your very own stamps to print with.
14. How to Create a Kids’ Artwork Frame
Create a cardboard frame to display your kids’ art in style!
8 Nature Art Projects for Earth Day Activities
1. How to Make a Nature Mobile for Kids
A beautiful craft to showcase your child’s nature treasures.
2. How to Make A Magical 3D Nature Suncatcher
Use a cardboard box to create a unique and fun way to experiment with light, color, and natural materials.
3. Nature Drawing for Kids: How to Make Feather
Kids can make their own feather art with this great opportunity to explore some of nature’s patterns, shapes, and lines.
4. How to Make a Flower Suncatcher
A simple and beautiful project using light and color.
5. Macrame Rock Necklaces
Showcase your kids’ favorite rock or other outdoor find with this DIY macrame necklace tutorial.
6. Make Your Own Nature Paintbrushes
See what patterns and textures you can create with these DIY brushes made with materials found in nature.
7. Nature-Inspired Drawing Prompts
A fun and simple way to slow down and appreciate nature through art.
8. How to Make Art Supplies from Nature
Suggestions for replacing traditional art supplies with nature-based substitutes.
More Spring Activities for Kids
- 30 Spring Activities for Kids
- Nature and Garden Crafts for Kids
- 13 Nature Walk Activities for Kids (+ FREE Nature Scavenger Hunt Printable!)
Pin It For Later