- 3 cups flour (I use half white whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour) or pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), sliced into tablespoons
- 12 tablespoons ice water
- Mix dry ingredients in a food processor. Add half the butter slices, pulse a couple times, then add the other half. Pulse several times. Or, you can cut the butter into pea-sized pieces with a pastry cutter or knife and fork.
- Pour flour mixture into a large bowl. Add ice water, 3 tablespoons at a time, using a sturdy rubber spatula to alternately mix and press it in between water additions. Use the spatula or your hands to bring the dough into a loose ball.
- Divide the dough in two and wrap each section in plastic wrap. Knead slightly within wrap to create a more cohesive ball. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.