Delicious and healthy! Recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats.
- 1 2/3 cup flour (all-purpose or white wheat)
- 1/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or the zest from one lemon (depending on your flavor preferences of the day)
- 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse dry ingredients, except for oats, in a food processor.
- Cut butter into pieces (about tablespoon size) and add to flour mixture in food processor. Pulse a few times to reduce the butter to pea sized or smaller pieces.
- Pour flour-butter mixture into a large bowl. Stir in oats and raspberries.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk together and add to dry ingredients. Use a sturdy rubber spatula to mix until a dough forms. Add a tiny bit more buttermilk if necessary.
- Turn the dough onto a clean work surface and use hands to form it into a disk.
- Cut into 8 wedges with a large knife. Brush with a little extra buttermilk (optional), then sprinkle with sugar.
- Arrange scone sections about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes on a metal cooling rack.