This moist apple cake is filled with wholesome apple goodness.
- 6 cups diced apple (about 5 medium apples)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled, plus a little to butter the pans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus a little to sprinkle in the pans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar or caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two medium Bundt pans (about 8″ across with 6- cup capacity).
- Combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the applesauce, butter, vanilla, and eggs and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir just until mixed.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt pans and bake for 40–45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool the Bundt cakes for 10 minutes, then invert them on a wire rack. Dust the cakes with powdered sugar or drizzle them with caramel sauce, if desired. This cake is excellent served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- If you’re making muffins, line a muffin tin with cupcake papers or silicone muffin liners (or simply grease and flour the muffin tin). Fill each section 2/3 full. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
From The Artful Year, by Jean Van’t Hul, © 2015 by Jean Van’t Hul. Reprinted by arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications Inc., Boulder, CO.