(Adapted slightly from the recipe in “The Rainforest Grew All Around” by Susan K. Mitchell)
- 1 1/4 cups white wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped cashews (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter, banana, and sugars until creamy.
- Mix in eggs and coconut.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cashews (if using).
- Drop by spoonful onto parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.