A delicious and easy gingerbread cookie recipe that works for both gingerbread houses and cookie shapes. Adapted from Food.com.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat sugar, molasses, and spices to boiling in a medium to large pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, letting it foam up.
- Add butter and stir occasionally as it melts.
- Whisk in egg.
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon (not all the flour will mix in).
- Dump mixture onto counter and knead until the flour is incorporated.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough to approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- If making gingerbread cookies, cut with cookie cutters.
- If making gingerbread houses, print or make a paper template. Arrange the template pieces on the rolled-out dough and use a knife to cut them out.
- Place gingerbread pieces on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Assemble and decorate with a simple icing (mix 4 cups powdered sugar with 1 teaspoon of vanilla and enough milk to give it a spreadable consistency).