This monster bread recipe is a great way to get creative in the kitchen with kids. Create monsters with dough, then bake and eat this delicious Halloween treat!
1.5 cups warm water (about 110–130 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 packet active dry yeast
1–3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
2 tablespoons water
1. Mix the warm water, yeast, and honey in a large bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in half of the flour to the yeast mixture, then let it rest for 30 minutes.
3. Mix in the salt, oil, and rest of the flour.
4. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for five minutes. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky.
5. Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
6. Punch the dough down, then divide it into small balls and pieces to use it to make bread dough monster creations. This is when you can add eyes, noses, mouths, arms and legs – even hair to your monster bread shapes.
7. Brush the monsters with an egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of water).
8. Bake your monsters for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, being careful to not let the smaller pieces burn.