This dough was originally meant for a pizza dinner, but when Maia came home from school she wanted to make something. So we used it for bread shapes instead.
Monster bread shapes, to be exact.
How to Make Halloween Monster Bread
- cookie sheet
- pastry brush
- bread dough (see below for the printable Monster Bread Recipe)
1. Make and shape dough
Make or buy pizza dough. Then roll your dough into various monster shapes.
Kids will enjoy this fun baking project as they shape and decorate the bread.
2. Let shapes double in size!
Place the monster bread shapes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Allow the bread to rise in a warm place until double in size.
Here Maia added eyes, noses, arms and legs–even a mouth and hair to some of her monster bread shapes.
3. Egg Wash
Make a simple egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 2 tablespoons water). Carefully brush the finished monster shapes with the egg wash to give that shiny finish after baking.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
The bread is ready when it turns golden brown. Be careful to keep a close eye on your smaller shapes so they don’t burn.
Here are the finished monsters, ready for us to eat. Monsters for dinner, a nice Halloween treat.
Printable Monster Bread RecipePrint
Monster Bread Shape Recipe– Fun And Creative Baking With Kids
Create easy monster bread shapes with this whole-wheat bread dough recipe.
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups white wheat flour (or 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the honey, yeast and warm water in a bowl. Then add half of the flour. Mix this together and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Add in the salt, olive oil and the rest of the flour.
- Place the dough on the countertop or table and knead it for five minutes. As needed, add flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover with either loose plastic wrap or a dish towel. Allow the dough to double in size.
- Finally, punch down the dough and shape into monsters!
MORE BAKING WITH KIDS RECIPES
Do you have any Halloween recipes you’d like to share? Leave them in the comments below!
Pin It For Later