This monster bread recipe is a great way to get creative in the kitchen with kids. Create monsters with dough, then bake, and eat this delicious Halloween treat!
Updated August 2021
This monster bread activity is perfect for a cool Autumn day when you’re looking to keep the kids busy! They can play with the dough, create Halloween monster shapes, and then enjoy a yummy treat!
How to Make Halloween Monster Bread
- bread dough (see recipe at the end of the post, or use uncooked pizza dough)
- pastry brush
- cookie sheet
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Make and shape dough
Buy pizza dough or use the recipe below to make your own. Then roll your dough into various monster shapes.
Kids will enjoy this fun baking project as they shape and decorate the bread.
- Let shapes double in size!
Place the monster bread shapes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Allow the bread to rise in a warm place until double in size.
This is when you can add eyes, noses, arms and legs – even a mouth and hair to your monster bread shapes.
- Egg Wash
Make a simple egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 2 tablespoons water). Carefully brush the finished monster shapes with the egg wash to give that shiny finish after baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
The bread is ready when it turns golden brown. Be careful to keep a close eye on your smaller shapes so they don’t burn.
Here are the finished monsters, ready for us to eat. Monsters for dinner, a nice Halloween treat.
Printable Monster Bread RecipePrint
This monster bread recipe is a great way to get creative in the kitchen with kids. Create monsters with dough, then bake and eat this delicious Halloween treat!
1.5 cups warm water (about 110–130 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 packet active dry yeast
1–3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
2 tablespoons water
1. Mix the warm water, yeast, and honey in a large bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in half of the flour to the yeast mixture, then let it rest for 30 minutes.
3. Mix in the salt, oil, and rest of the flour.
4. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for five minutes. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky.
5. Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
6. Punch the dough down, then divide it into small balls and pieces to use it to make bread dough monster creations. This is when you can add eyes, noses, mouths, arms and legs – even hair to your monster bread shapes.
7. Brush the monsters with an egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of water).
8. Bake your monsters for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, being careful to not let the smaller pieces burn.
More Fall Baking with Kids
- The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Try This Delicious & Easy Apple Bundt Cake Recipe
- The Best Healthy Pumpkin Waffle Recipe
- Teddy Bear Bread
Do you have any Halloween recipes you love to bake each year?
Autumn Arts & Crafts Ideas & Supplies
Download our FREE printable idea list of 31 Halloween activities for kids & families! Or just check out the blog post with the links. So many fun ideas for Halloween!
And be sure to check out our FALL family fun list in our Amazon store! It includes supplies for fall arts & crafts, autumn toys, Halloween ideas, and picture books about autumn.
PLUS: We’re offering 50% OFF and MORE on our Kids Art Spot Halloween workshops, Fall workshops and bundles. (Sale ends October 31, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST)
Pin It For Later