Homemade Peanut Butter Cups (& An Artful Day)

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups - on The Artful Parent

I just love artful days. Days full of art, creative play, and… homemade peanut butter cups!

They, of course, don't always happen (even when I try). And with a toddler I sometimes feel that I'm pushing or pulling too much or attempting to head off a meltdown or feeling guilty because I'm trying to clean when I probably should be on the floor stacking blocks.

So I especially love and appreciate the artful days when everything just seems to flow perfectly and interesting projects present themselves.

An Artful Day

Ours started with a teddy bear picnic on the living room floor. Maia fed them various fruits and vegetables as well as Sculpey "cookies" (which is how the Sculpey nature prints usually get used in our house). Then our friend Tiffany came over for coffee and a chat (artful days often involve interesting people bearing baked goods!).

Maia was very impressed by a couple of books that Tif's daughter Lily had made and wanted to make her own book.

Bookmaking with Little Kids

She started drawing immediately after Tif left, named everything and waited not-so-patiently while I wrote down the labels she dictated to me. She filled three pieces of paper, front and back, and then we folded them in half and sewed a figure eight binding with embroidery thread and needle. I said she could title the book and she named several letters for the title (A-M-I-D-A-K-D).

Bookmaking with Little Kids

Bookmaking with Little Kids

I realized afterwards that we should have assembled a blank book first, because many of the drawings were essentially cut in half by the way we assembled the book. Next time! Maia was very proud of her book and carried it around with her for the rest of the day.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

After lunch we decided to try our hand at chocolate peanut butter cups, after seeing some on Angry Chicken. I'm sure hers are delectable, but I decided to find a freebie recipe, and found a simple one on All Recipes. Here's the abbreviated version:

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

(Abbreviated from this recipe on All Recipes)

INGREDIENTS

• 1 package milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Cut paper or foil muffin tin liners to half height and set in muffin tin.

2. Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in a double boiler (or in the microwave).

3. Add a spoonfull of melted chocolate to each muffin liner and use spoon to draw the chocolate up the side of the liner.

4. Put muffin tin in fridge until the chocolate has hardened.

5. Mix peanut butter, salt, and powdered sugar together.

6. Add dollops of the peanut butter mixture to each chocolate-lined muffin tin section.

7. Melt the remaining chocolate and spread evenly over the tops of each peanut butter cup.

8. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Homemade peanut butter cups are the best! I wouldn't say they are exactly healthy, but they are definitely healthier than the commercial kind. And so, so delicious!

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Yum!

Yum, yum, yum, yum.

Comments

My son is looking at this with me, and now he wants to make a book too!
    Thanks – also just wanted to de-lurk to say how much I appreciate and enjoy this blog.

that’s hilarious – i saw the same post on angry chicken and made the exact same recipe from all recipes yesterday afternoon.
    and they are delish!

I am super intrigued with the “bowl of markers”. How and why are they upside down? Are they cemented in? That would be super smart if they were, always knowing where the lid was!
    P.S. I have been eying those peanut butter cups too!!

What a beautiful day! Just makes me smile. Thanks for the sunshine.
    ~GInger
    P.S. We keep our markers like that too – so great to not be losing the caps anymore and they last so much longer that way! Another supposed good way to extend the life of markers is to store them on their side, but I prefer the upside down method myself.

I’ll have to ask my kids about the book idea. I think they would like to try it. Today is a half day from school. We need to fill up the time this afternoon. Bringing out some art supplies and lingering at the kitchen table sounds like fun.
    Thanks Jean
    -Sara

Wow. That book is amazing. She is so smart, mama! : )
    We might have to try this, but not sure how it would go over for the two of them. We are at a stage when they fight and bicker over EVERYTHING, especially who gets the blue (or green or yellow, etc.) It can make for a serious headache.
    I totally get what you mean by a day that flows without being pulled in different directions or tantrums. We had a few of those days last week, but not so much this week, so far.
    I’ve been meaning to do the markers thingy … need to find that post.

7. shan says

what a great great day!! i love your blog!
    i have done that marker holder many times i need to make a new one!
    we will be making the book and peanut butter cups very soon!

neat looking teddy bear’s picnic
    love the books
    those chocolate peanut butter cups look so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. S. Marie says

Love the book!
    I am trying to figure out how old your daughter is to help me gauge when project ideas might be appropriate for my daughter and her friends. She is 18.5 months.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!
    S. Marie – My daughter is 2 1/2, so some of the activities and projects we do might be appropriate and some you might want to wait on. She’d probably like to draw with markers (or whatever) but won’t be labeling her drawings yet, for example.

11. Amy says

Jean, seeing that quilt in the first picture made me nostalgic–I have wonderful photos of Maia, Sadie, and some of the other babies spread out on that quilt when they were a few months old!