Painting Heart Cookies

Painted Heart Cookies for Valentine's Day

We painted some heart cookies with food coloring recently, just for fun. We did this once before (painting directly on the uncooked cookies) but the colors were too dark and intense, so this time I diluted the food coloring with water (yellow and red) and milk (pink) first and think the colors worked out really well.

HeartCookies6

After cutting out the heart shapes from the cookie dough, I froze them so they would be hard and easy to handle while the girls painted them. They painted using q-tips as brushes.

HeartCookies5

I make these kids do art to get treats!

HeartCookies8

After baking the cookies, they admired their artworks briefly then ate them!

Note: We've also painted with food coloring on glazed cookies and glazed cupcakes. It's a very different look, but works equally well. And of course we decorate with icing and sprinkles. I've been really curious about the edible "Food Writer" markers, though. Has anyone used them?

Comments

My son has used the markers with my mom (on sugar cookies). As I recall, the color is not very bright/saturated, and it obviously doesn’t go on super-smooth because of the texture of the cookies, but they do work!

2. Kristie says

We have used the markers before. The kids liked them pretty well. We had a really good experience making an egg yolk/food coloring wash and painting it on the cookies before baking. Then we piped icing on. The colors went on very bright using the egg yolk. Here is a link if you wanted to see…the picture is terrible because I used photo booth to take it instead of using my camera. http://sillygoofy.blogspot.com/2010/12/cookie-making-part-deux.html

Cheerful, easy process (except maybe all the baking!), light hearted, enjoyable, and just plain cute! I also love the blue princess in one of your pictures. I’m so glad you are documenting your life with photos. This precious time is now a treasure that will never disappear from your mind and from that of your kids.

4. Padma says

We used the Wilton edible markers and the results were not very good..the colors were not bright and some didn’t even show. I like the idea of food colors..your cookies look nice and bright. Will try ;-)

5. Julie says

Since I’m terrible at decorating cakes with frosting I’ve used the markers on frosting sheets to decorate birthday cakes (since my daughter has been known to request things for her cake such as the dragon from My Father’s Dragon). The frosting sheet just dissolves into the cake frosting once you lay it on the cake. The colors come out bright and true so artwork would look lovely. I think for her birthday this year I will make cupcakes and she can decorate little circles of frosting sheet for each cupcake using the markers.

6. Tamrah T. says

That was my experience with edible makers, too. Terrific on glazed cookie surfaces: vibrant colors and easy for the kids to “paint” their designs on. (I say, “paint” because little ones didn’t have the control to lightly “draw” fine details as I was able to do.)

What a fun idea! I think I may do this with our preschool group next time it’s at my house. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

We use the food markers on pancakes every Saturday morning. The kids love them. Ours are just now wearing out and we’ve had them for about 7 years. I love the idea of painting unbaked cookies. We’ll definitely be doing this before Valentine’s Day.

9. amy says

we did this last week and it was a huge hit. what a great suggestion to freeze the cutout shapes a bit so they would be easier to handle.

We are always using the markers before…! The kids liked them pretty well…We had a really good experience making an egg yolk/food coloring wash and also painting it on….!