Edible Art! Grape + Toothpick Sculptures

Edible Art - Grape and Toothpick Sculptures

This was the kids’ after school snack yesterday.

A grape and toothpick sculpture to make, briefly admire, and then eat. It was the perfect combination of delicious and engaging.

Oh, and healthy.

Edible Art Toothpick Sculpture

We started with a bowl full of grapes and a box of toothpicks.

Edible Art Toothpick Sculpture

These grape and toothpick sculptures are much the same as the marshmallow and toothpick sculptures and the soap and toothpick sculptures that we’ve tried in the past, but much easier and better.

Grapes are perfect for this activity. Really. Perfect.

And I wish I had thought of the idea myself, but I didn’t. I came across a passing mention of grape and toothpick sculptures by Rachel of handmade charlotte in the Hand in Hand book and immediately knew we had to try them at the earliest possible opportunity.

Edible Art Toothpick Sculpture

Whereas marshmallows were a bit too soft and sticky to work with even when stale (not to mention the sugar content if your kids eat them while working) and the soap bits were tricky (a bit too brittle), grapes are ideal. They hold their shape well, are sturdy, and yet are easily pierced by the toothpicks.

Edible Art Toothpick Sculpture

Maia and I built toothpick sculptures while Daphne mostly just used her toothpicks to transfer grapes to her eager little mouth.

Edible Art Toothpick Sculpture

We all had fun. And then we pulled apart our sculptures and ate every last grape.

I suppose we could have let them dry into raisin + toothpick sculptures, and maybe we’ll try that twist someday, but we were hungry.

Grape Sculptures and Healthy Snacks for Kids

So, I’m telling ya. Forget about the marshmallow sculptures. Grapes and toothpicks are where it’s at.

Besides, this version is perfect for summer.

Have you tried building with toothpicks yet?

If not, I highly recommend it!

More Toothpick Sculptures

Comments

Oooh, I bet you could use lots of fruits — strawberries, melon, etc. Maybe make a rainbow fruit salad sculpture! I never would have thought of grapes but now that you’ve done it my mind is racing. :)

This is great. I have been wanting to do this for so long but really hesitated because all the ideas were with marshmallows or gumdrops, and I just didn’t want all that sugar.

Love this idea. TAkes me back in time, and now I have the Wiggles “Fruit Salad” song looping through my brain. Are the Wiggle’s still around? My nine year old was obsessed with them when he was 2.

I know. I got around the sugar thing with the marshmallows the first time we did it by giving stale marshmallows and saying they were just for the sculpture, not for eating. And Maia listened to me! (She does once in a while.) The second time we did it, though, Maia had a friend over who kept eating the marshmallows, so of course, Maia did, too.

5. Kristine says

I’ve been busy planting cherry tomatoes lately. They would be great for this.

Yes! Perfect. Or, how about a greek salad sculpture with cherry tomatoes, cucumber cubes, and feta cubes? Not to get too over the top or anything…

7. Ann says

This is a great idea! I had always wanted to try the marshmallow idea, but the sugar kept me from doing it and the soap seemed a bit pricey. Yay!

Hi
    Love the edible sculptures! I wish I had known about these when I did prism with 8 year olds! How engaging and also delicious!
    Sue

9. Carly says

I did this with the kids before dinner yesterday. Similar to your kids, my five year old made train tracks and a person, and my three year old made, um, grapes on toothpicks. My five year old said “This was a fun AND yummy activity, Mommy!” Thanks for the great idea!

10. Linda says

These all look like fun (and healthier than marshmallows) for older kids…just remember whole grapes are choking hazards for children under 4…I am a preschool and toddler teacher for 20 years…didn’t know it myself when I started out. :)