Spelling L-O-V-E with Melted Bead Suncatchers

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

We've been going crazy with melted bead suncatchers lately, experimenting with all kinds of ideas, forms, and frames. I'm just going to share my newest favorite today—suncatcher words!

You are probably thinking enough already with the melted bead suncatchers so I'll just do one more post after this with all the others (to get it out of my system) and then move on.

To something.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

Sooo…. The suncatcher words are probably pretty self explanatory, but I have the pics, so I'll share them.

I strung a bunch of translucent red pony beads one night while Harry and I were watching a movie. It seemed like the perfect thing to do with my hands. Some people knit while they watch TV or movies. I'll be the crazy lady who strings beads for the hundreds of suncatchers she has around her house.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

The next day I formed the word "love" with the string of beads on a foil-covered baking dish and melted the beads on the gas grill outside (high, 5 or so minutes).

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

I let the beads and pan cool, then lifted off my new word suncatcher. I love how it turned out and already have other words and names planned.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

I tried a few different places for my new love suncatcher, including among some embroidery hoop suncatchers in the living room window…

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

…and on the lip of an empty picture frame.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

I think this spot was actually my favorite, but it seemed silly to put a suncatcher against a wall. I may have to make some of these melted bead words with opaque pony beads as well.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Words

Finally, I combined the love suncatcher with two melted bead heart suncatchers in one of our bedroom windows.

Perfect.

P.S. Kids could make these, too, of course. This one just happened to be all me.

Now here's the big question: Have you tried melted bead suncatchers yet? What did you think?

Looking for the basic melted bead suncatcher instructions or more ideas? Here are my previous melted bead suncatcher posts:

Comments

1. earleyml says

I did and loved it. Totally going to do the pumpkin one in October and I have a coupon for 50% off at Joann Fabrics so you know what I’ll be buying!

Inspired by your recent posts we made melted bead flowers with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. When cool I drilled a hole in the flower on one side with my dremel and she strung them onto elastic beading sting for a flower necklace. She loved it and it was a simple fast craft for her to do! We still haven’t made any suncatchers though…

3. earleyml says

What a neat idea! I’m going to have to try that. How did you make the flowers? Did you use a flower cookie cutter?
    Jean – How long was your string for the words?

4. beth says

We loved making suncatchers (myself and my 4 y/o & 2 y/o) and I LOVE all the ideas you have been posting lately…many of them are on my Christmas Presents to Make List!!!

5. Stephanie says

We made what I will call the “original” suncatchers in mini pie pans as part of a playdate. I had two 4-year-olds and two 7-year-olds, mix of boys and girls, and they all loved it…kept them engaged for a while, and they turned out beautifully!

6. jwg says

Any idea if you could do this in a microwave. I’d love to teach it as part of an art workshop for my CDA students but we don’t have access to an oven.

We’ve used metal cookie cutters with the pony beads. It works well. I didn’t measure the string first. Sorry!! I have some more I’m planning to do though and will try to measure them first. Maybe 2 feet long?

I wish I could answer your question, but we don’t have a microwave and I haven’t tried it in one. I know a toaster oven would work though, if you wanted to bring one to your art workshop.

9. Michele Edelmuth says

Regarding the response about using cookie cutters to make ornaments – do the melted beads not stick to the cookie cutters or are they (the cookie cutter) part of the ornaments. I have extra plastic crystals from Make it Bake it kits to use and I’m looking for a way to use them…