We just bought a bunch of pumpkins, unable to resist the new displays of them popping up everywhere. So we now have a table-full of big pumpkins, little pumpkins, orange pumpkins, and white pumpkins. Even a few funny-looking knobbly gourds!
And since we can’t just leave them alone, here are some of the best pumpkin decorating ideas for kids. A couple of the ideas are from The Artful Parent, but most are just some seriously awesome ideas from around the web.
Ideas that kids can actually do!
We’re giving the crayon scribble pumpkins a whirl today with the white pumpkins and can’t wait to try some of these other ideas soon, too.
Pumpkin Decorating Ideas for Younger Kids
These pumpkin decorating ideas are especially great for younger kids because of the materials used and focus on process over product. But older kids (and even adults) can certainly enjoy and do these as well!
- Make drip art pumpkins (on The Imagination Tree)
- And here’s another drip-painted pumpkin with a different look (on Kids Stuff World)
- Decorate your pumpkin with playdough faces (on Teach Preschool)
- Crayon scribble pumpkins (on The Swell Designer)
- Pumpkin painting
- Decorate your pumpkin with felt facial features – with printable (on Makely School for Girls)
- Finger paint tape-resist Jack-O-Lanterns (on Young House Love)
- Tissue paper collage pumpkins (on Young House Love)
- Hammer nails into the pumpkin then string them together into a design (on The Magic Onions)
- Decorate your pumpkins with washi tape (on The Celebration Shoppe)
- Make magazine-collage Jack-O-Lanterns (on Woman’s Day)
- Add some bling to your pumpkins (on Nurture Store)
- Make glittered pumpkins (on HGTV)
- Note :: They used spray adhesive, but you can make this project little-kid friendly by using regular glue or Mod Podge.
- Decorate your pumpkins with feathers and buttons (on TinkerLab)
Pumpkin Decorating Ideas for Older Kids
I separated these ideas out for older kids (and adults) because of the number of steps involved, the materials, and/or the more product-oriented nature. As always, you know your kids best so use your own judgement. And little kids might have fun doing one of these pumpkin ideas with you.
- Despicable Me fans will have fun turning pumpkins into minions (on Cranberry Bush)
Want to make your decorated pumpkins last longer?
Which are your favorite pumpkin decorating ideas for kids? Will you give one of these a try this year?