Here’s a FUN list of 31 Halloween activities for kids that includes Halloween crafts, art activities, decorations, book suggestions, recipes, costumes, and more! Plus, download the FREE printable list!
October means autumn is in full swing with fall leaves, sweater weather, pumpkin patches, and, of course, all things Halloween. It’s an exciting time of year, especially for kids.
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”L. M. Montgomery
Since our 30 Days of September Activities was so popular, we’ve done the same for October.
Would you like some ideas of creative activities to do with your children this month?
Some of our October traditions include picking out our pumpkins (perhaps at a pumpkin lot or a local farm), decorating our pumpkins, planning and making our Halloween costumes, baking with pumpkin, and making lots of Autumn and Halloween arts and crafts!
Plus reading Halloween books, of course! We’ve included a list of favorite children’s picture books about Halloween at the bottom.
Here’s our list of Halloween activities for kids and families!
31 Days of Halloween Activities for Kids
If you’d like a printable version of the list, scroll down to the bottom of this post to get a handy PDF version!
5 Pumpkin Decorating and Carving Ideas for Kids
1. Pumpkin Painting with Kids (it’s the perfect Halloween sensory activity!)
2. Make awesome 3D pumpkin faces with playdough and poke-ins (you can do this fun activity early in the month and then still carve the pumpkin closer to Halloween!)
3. The best pumpkin decorating ideas for kids (that they can actually do!)
4. How to carve & decorate a pumpkin fairy house for kids (plus more pumpkin fairy house inspiration)
5. How to get a Lite Brite effect for your Jack-o’-lantern (super cool!)
5 Recipes Perfect for October
6. Bake a batch of the best pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
8. Bake teddy bear bread for dinner (or use the bread dough to make monsters!)
10. Decorate sugar skull cookies for Día de los Muertos
6 Halloween Art Ideas for Kids
11. Tape-resist skeleton paintings (full-sized!)
12. Make not-too-spooky drawing prompts for kids with eye stickers (are they ghosts, monsters, bats, Jack-o’-lanterns, witches, spiders, or owls?)
13. Raised salt painting with Halloween themes such as pumpkins, Jack-o’-lanterns, spiders, webs, ghosts, and witches
14. Carve potatoes and make Halloween potato prints
15. Halloween scratch art (an easy peasy DIY method!)
16. Make playdough monsters with poke-ins
5 Spider Arts and Crafts Ideas
17. Make a Halloween spider web from coffee filters (super easy, plus they look awesome in the window!)
19. Zentangle spider webs (a fun tangle art activity for older kids and adults)
20. Spider web crafts (so many more ideas here!)
3 DIY Halloween Decorations
22. DIY bat garland (the perfect Halloween decoration!)
24. Create Doodle Tissue Paper Lanterns
3 DIY Costumes for Kids
27. Check out our list of creative DIY Halloween costumes for kids for more inspiration!
4 More Halloween Activities for Kids
31.) Head to the library and check out some Books about Halloween
Need some suggestions? Ask your children’s librarian or try some of these:
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler
- Ghosts in the House! by Kazuno Kohara
- Ten Timid Ghosts by Jennifer O’Connell
- Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell
- Halloween Mice by Bethany Roberts and illustrated by Doug Cushman
- Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Halloween: A Safety Guide for Scaredies by Melanie Watt
- The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Richard Egielski
Would you like a printable version of 31 Halloween Activities for Kids to hang on your fridge?
You’re in luck!–> CLICK HERE for the free printable of 31 Halloween Activities!
Just click on the link above and get a PDF delivered straight to your inbox!
How about you? What are your favorite Halloween activities for kids?